Switching your baby between breastfeeding and bottle-feeding comes with its own problems if you don’t find the right baby bottle. If you’re comparing Playtex vs. Avent baby bottles, I’m glad you’ve found this article! You’ll discover all you need to know about the differences (and similarities) between these two popular baby bottle brands.
Both Playtex and Avent baby bottles are designed for simple switching between breastfeeding and bottle-feeding. Both have anti-colic features and breast-shaped nipples for easy latching. Playtex bottles can be used with drop-in liners. Avent offers both glass and plastic bottles.
Playtex vs Avent bottles – differences and similarities
While both brands offer anti-colic feeding, their colic prevention designs are uniquely different from each other. The Philips AVENT Anti-Colic Bottle with AirFree Vent is specifically designed to reduce colic, gas, and reflux symptoms. The patented AirFree Vent draws air away, keeping the nipple full of milk even when you’re feeding your baby in an upright position.
The Playtex VentAire Bottles are also designed to minimize air ingestion while drinking. The vented base keeps the air at the back of the bottle, preventing it from mixing with milk while your baby is feeding. In addition, the angled shape of the bottle allows for upright feeding which also reduces colic, gas, and reflux.
If the Avent bottles aren’t properly assembled, you could end up with messy leakages. If the caps aren’t screwed on properly, aligning with the threads, leaking will happen. Another culprit for leaking Avent bottles is when the milk is too hot or the threads are dirty through the build-up of formula.
The anti-colic Playtex bottles will also leak if the area between the plastic ring and the vented base isn’t free of water after cleaning. Always disassemble all the parts completely before cleaning the bottle and leave to dry thoroughly before assembling.
Avoid bottles leaking by always making sure they’re clean and dry before assembling, the caps are screwed on properly, and that the milk is at the right temperature before placing the caps or lids.
Ease of Cleaning
Both Avent and Playtex bottles are easy to clean with wide neck openings. All parts are easy to disassemble for washing. What’s more, both brands are dishwasher-safe. Keep all parts contained in a basket for baby bottles and only place them on the top rack of the dishwasher for the most hygienic cleaning.
Both bottles and their parts can be used in bottle sterilizers safely.
Avent Natural Response Nipples are available in 5 flow rates, making it easy for your baby to control their feeding pace according to their natural drinking pattern. They’re also breast-shaped, soft and flexible, making it easy for your baby to latch.
The Playtex Baby Breastlke Bottle Nipples come in 3 flow rates as well as a Y-cut design. They’re wide-shaped and made with soft silicone for easy latching for switching from the breast to bottle-feeding. When using the Playtex NaturLatchY-Cut Nipple, your baby will be able to drink thickened formula with ease.
Avent bottles are either made with 100% BPA-free polypropylene plastic or pharmaceutical-grade glass. All Avent nipples are also BPA-free. Playtex bottles and Pre-Sterilized Disposable Liners for the Nursery Bottles are constructed with BPA-free materials.
Playtex bottles come in two different designs:
- Playtex VentAire Bottles: Available in 6 oz and 9 oz sizes, these anti-colic bottles will bring your fussy baby much relief if they battle with colic, gas, or reflux. The bottle design also helps to reduce burping and spit up, keeping your baby calm and comfortable during and after feeding.
- Playtex Nursery Bottles: These bottles are designed to hold disposable drop-in liners or silicone pods. The liners and pods allow for closer-to-natural feeding, making it easy to switch from the breast to the bottle whenever it’s feeding time. Pre-sterilized drop-in liners also mean less cleaning and more time with your baby.
- Anti-colic feeding with vented base and angled shape for reduced air ingestion while drinking.
- Closer-to-breastfeeding style with the brand’s Nurser Bottle and drop-in liners.
- Pre-sterilized liners and pods deflate during feeding, reducing the amount of air in the milk while drinking.
- The angled shape of anti-colic bottles also prevents ear infections.
- Breast-shaped silicone nipples for healthy latching and easy transitioning from the breast to the bottle.
- Nipples available in three flow rates or as a Y-cut for thicker formulas.
- Easy to clean with fewer parts
- Slow flow rate good for newborns
- Ergonomic design makes for comfortable holding
- Can be difficult to screw on base and nipple properly resulting in leakage
- Plastic discolors after being washed in the dishwasher over time
Watch this video demonstrate how to use the breast-friendly Playtex Nurser Bottles with drop-in liners.
Do Avent teats fit Playtex Bottles?
Avent teats don’t fit Playtex bottles despite them both having wide neck openings. No other brands work with the Playtex bottles which are designed to only take their brand’s nipples.
Avent baby bottles are available in two designs, with one available in both glass and plastic:
- Philips AVENT Anti-Colic Bottle with AirFree Vent: Designed to reduce colic, gas, and reflux, these bottles can be used with or without the patented AirFree Vent.
- Philips Natural Baby Bottle: Together with the brand’s Natural Response Nipple, this bottle allows your baby to pace their feeding according to their natural drinking pattern.
- Philips Avent Glass Natural Baby Bottle: The same design as its plastic counterpart, this Natural Baby Bottle is made with glass for those parents who prefer this type of material.
- AirFree vent in anti-colic bottles reduces air ingestion, minimizing colic, gas, and reflux symptoms.
- Anti-colic bottles can be used without the AirFree vent as your baby grows older and battles less with fussy tummies.
- Wide, breast-shaped nipples for easy latching and less collapse during feeding.
- No-drip nipple design prevents leakage whenever there’s milk in the bottle.
- 5 different flow rates to match the baby’s natural drinking pattern.
- Ergonomic design for easy holding.
- Easy to clean with only four parts
- Easy to disassemble and assemble
- Super-soft nipples
- Bottle doesn’t empty when feeding upright
- Difficult to get the right flow rate
Discover the benefits of using the Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottle in this video.
Do Playtex teats fit Avent Bottles?
Playtex teats are only designed to fit their bottles so they’re not compatible with Avent bottles.
My top pick of the two brands is the Playtex bottles. I recommend the Playtex Nursery Bottles for closer-to-natural breastfeeding. They can be used with both disposable drop-in liners or reusable silicone pods, a winner for parents also looking for an eco-friendly solution to bottle-feeding. Plus, the silicone pods make great breast milk storage bags if you’re pumping!
You can also opt for Playtex VentAire Bottles if your baby is battling colic, gas, or reflux. Which brand will be your top pick for combining breastfeeding with bottles?
Last update on 2022-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API