Setting up your little’s ones’ nursery can be fun. There are so many cute and colorful little items and gadgets to add. One such item is the thing hanging above the crib hanging thing, which is actually called a crib mobile.
In addition to spinning around it might also play a tune. In doing so, the baby’s brain is stimulated and in most cases, your little one is lulled to sleep. I’ve researched 5 of the more popular options for you to shortlist. My personal favorite is the Tiny Love Meadow Days Take Along Mobile because it’s the ideal travel companion. Simply unscrew it and take it wherever your baby goes.
My Top Picks for Best Baby Crib Mobiles
1. Best Overall – Tiny Love Meadow Days Take Along Mobile
2. Best Value – Mini Tudou Baby Musical Mobile Crib with Music and Lights
3. Best Soothing- Lambs & Ivy Jungle Safari Musical Baby Crib Mobile
4. Best Eco-friendly – Baby Crib Mobile
5. Best Sound – Baby Musical Crib Mobile with Hanging Rotating Toys
- My Top Picks for Best Baby Crib Mobiles
- Is it safe to hang things above a crib?
- Is a crib mobile necessary?
- Should crib mobiles be colorful?
- Top 5 crib mobiles
Is it safe to hang things above a crib?
In general, it’s not safe to hang “things” over your baby’s crib. Of course, you can hang crib mobiles if you consider a few essential safety precautions. Some of the most important safety tips for hanging mobiles are listed below:
- Strange objects: Don’t hang pictures or toys with sharp edges above the crib. Rather than make DIY crib mobiles, rather invest in a product designed for this specific purpose.
- Loose components: Choose mobiles that don’t have loose components to minimize any choking hazards if a toy falls off. Toys that can come off the mobile should only be removed when the baby is old enough to safely play with them.
- Toy materials: If you’re concerned about the materials the little toys are made of, it’s a good idea to look out for mobiles with soft felt toys. There are also mobiles available made completely of eco-friendly, hypoallergenic materials.
- Height: Always hang the mobile out of reach so that if your little one reaches up they won’t be able to touch it. Only lower the mobile if the baby doesn’t seem to notice it at first. But, as your baby grows, be sure to raise the mobile out of reach.
- Sound levels: Choose mobiles that don’t exceed the recommended decibels tolerance levels for babies. It’s also important to set the mobile up in a manner where sound won’t suddenly come on and startle your baby or wake them if they fall asleep. As a rule of thumb, none of the babies’ toys or gadgets should ever produce a sound over 60 decibels. Keep in mind that this item will be very close to your baby’s head.
- Check arms: Select mobiles with arms or brackets that are compatible with your type of crib or bassinet. Some crib mobiles might need a little reinforcement to your type of crib or bassinet. Securing the arm tightly will ensure the unit doesn’t fall onto your little one’s face!
Is a crib mobile safe?
Many parents consider hanging mobiles to be unsafe. The main reason for this is the small components used to make them. In my personal experience, if you hang the mobile high enough and ensure there are no loose toys or parts that can fall off, you won’t have a problem. Always ensure that the baby can’t reach the toys on the mobile.
If you choose a crib mobile with moving components that come off and turn into rattles and teethers, always make sure they’re securely fastened to the mobile when it’s being used. Make sure the rattles don’t have sharp edges and aren’t small enough to be a choking hazard.
Here’s a short clip showing you how easy it is to choose the right crib mobile.
Where should a crib mobile go?
If your crib mobile is too high, it won’t have the desired effect. On the other hand, if you hang it too low, it’ll be in the way and potential safety risk. Where then is the best place to hang a crib mobile?
Whether you’re hanging the mobile from the ceiling, or the top of the crib, the recommended height is 16” or 40cm above the surface of the crib. Ideally, you want to place it in the center of the crib so that your little one can interact with it.
Be sure not to place it in your way when you need to tend to the baby. If your little one doesn’t seem to be responding to the mobile, you might have to lower it until they notice it. Always make sure they can’t reach it though!
Some crib mobiles are travel-friendly. In addition to being fastened onto cribs and bassinets, they can also easily be attached to play yards and strollers. Ensure they are securely fastened if this is the case.
When should you remove it?
Crib mobiles should be removed when your baby is 5 months old, or when they’re able to get up on their hands and knees. If your little one can reach the mobile, there’s always the risk that they will tug on a toy which may result in a piece or even the whole mobile coming loose and falling onto the baby.
If you find that your hanging mobile is soothing to your baby, you can always adjust it higher and still use it for an extra few weeks. If of course, you’ve selected a crib mobile with adjustable heights. The golden rule is always that the baby shouldn’t be able to reach any part of the mobile. As soon as the baby starts reaching upward toward the mobile, it should be raised.
Is a crib mobile necessary?
When you have a lot of baby products to buy, you might find yourself making a list of what’s really necessary and what’s just nice to have. While it’s true your baby will be just fine without a crib mobile, some parents find that they help soothe a fussy little one.
Crib mobiles also help to stimulate brain function and assist neural development. Some babies find falling asleep to the sound of a crib mobile quite soothing, while others might be distracted. If your little one is scared of the mobile or the attached toys, it’s a good idea to switch it off.
Should crib mobiles be colorful?
As a parent setting up the nursery, you might think bright or even pastel-colored mobiles might be more entertaining to your little one. Some research has shown that black and white mobiles have a better effect on newborns for the first six weeks.
After that, bold colors and designs will capture your little one’s attention better. If you don’t want to buy two different mobiles, buy the one you prefer and your little one will most likely show interest in it anyway. For the most part, babies aren’t too finicky over their crib mobiles. The good news is, both you and your little one will benefit from the soothing effect of a quality crib mobile.
Top 5 crib mobiles
With so many options on the market, it might be quite a challenge to decide which option is best suited to your little one. Read on for 5 of the top most popular crib mobiles to consider!
The most fun feature about Tiny Love is that it can be used at home and on the go. With its screwing-on and off feature, it can be taken wherever your baby goes. Simply screw them onto your bassinet, stroller or even a pack and play.
Its spinning toys keep your baby entertained and stimulated. 30 minutes of uninterrupted and engaging melodies provide continued entertainment for your little one, making it easy for them to eventually doze off. With 5 different melodies, your baby will be easily entertained.
- 5 different melodies
- Spinning toys
- Encourages baby development
- Adjustable connector arm fits most cribs and play yards
- Doesn’t clip onto all types of bassinets
If you’re looking for a mobile with a variety of different “music” options, then the Mini Tudou is definitely for you! It plays 6 nursery rhymes, 5 nature sounds, and a whopping 150 lullabies! There’s no way your little one will get bored with the sound of this colorful crib mobile!
The rattles hanging from the mobile are detachable and can be removed to be played with or used as teethers as your baby develops. The music play machine can also be used long after the little one has moved out of the crib. With 6 toys in one unit, this mobile will provide you with value for money because you’ll use it well into the toddler years.
- 6 toys in one unit
- Timing shutdown function
- Remote control
- Short battery life
- Doesn’t spin without music
The Lambs & Ivy Jungle Safari Musical Baby Crib Mobile plays 3 popular lullabies to get your little one to fall asleep. It automatically shuts off after 20 minutes which not only preserves battery life but allows the baby to stay asleep without being disturbed by you switching the unit off.
The mobile easily attaches to most cribs making installation quick and easy. Simple neutral colors such as gray, white and beige mean it’ll fit with any nursery color scheme. Four plush safari-themed little animals feature enough detail to keep your baby entertained.
- 3 tunes to choose from
- Automatically turns off after 20 minutes
- Adjustable volume
- Doesn’t hook securely on some cribs
- Doesn’t work when sound is turned off
If you’re looking for a way to eliminate plastic usage in your nursery, this crib mobile is worth considering! The Baby Crib Mobile is made of a series of bell pendant mobiles each made from hypoallergenic felt and filters.
Its simplicity makes it a popular option for many parents who prefer an “old-school” mobile that doesn’t feature motors and batteries. Despite its lack of batteries, it still sways around enough to attract your baby’s attention. It provides enough entertainment without parents having to worry about batteries going flat or sound going on or off as the baby is just about to doze off.
- Made from eco-friendly products
- Sways around without the use of batteries
- Has a calming effect on your baby
- Doesn’t play music
Another crib mobile that features plenty of songs and sounds to keep your little one entertained is the Baby Musical Crib. Made from environmentally friendly materials, this mobile is BPA-free and has a smooth edge. So, if your little one does touch it, there’s no chance of getting hurt.
Four adorable little airplane pendants spin around slowly enough to attract your baby’s attention till they fall asleep. A plus is that the little airplanes can be taken off and used as individual rattles. 108 different songs will keep your little one from getting bored! The sturdy arm can be secured to most cribs or bassinets.
- Remote control
- Spinning pendants exercise baby’s eyesight
- Made from eco-friendly BPA friendly material
- Fits onto most cribs and bassinets
- Batteries only last a few days
Knowing that the above crib hanging thing is called a crib mobile will make it easier to find the ideal one for your nursery. Consider where your crib will stand and whether you’d prefer a mobile that hangs from the ceiling, wall or top of the crib. Follow the safety precautions and you’ll easily have a gadget that will intrigue your little one!
Will you go for my best overall pick, which is the Tiny Love Meadow Days Take Along Mobile, or another one on my list?
Last update on 2021-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API