Whether you have a changing table or not, adding a changing pad to the baby registry is a good idea. This baby product is convenient to have on hand, being portable, easy to use, and keeps your baby safe during diaper changes. What I never thought of when my own daughter was born was how many changing pad covers I need.
Having a changing pad makes a world of difference when you’re changing your baby’s diapers. You can use them on a table, in the car or even when you go camping.
Read on to find out why changing pad covers are useful, why more than one makes parenting easier and how to pick the right one.
How Many Changing Pad Covers Do I Need?
Time and experience as a father has made me realize changing pad covers are essential. I’ve also learned that one cover is not enough. Hearing what other parents have to say, they also agree every diaper changing parent must have at least two to three changing pad covers.
I recommend that you have at least two available. Believe me, having more than one will save you from having to do a laundry wash every day. In fact, you can push the number of covers up to three. This gives you peace of mind you have a clean one on hand when the next diaper change is a messy one.
What I Need to Know About Changing Pad Covers
Changing pad covers are like fitted sheets for mattresses. They’re made from various materials such as cotton, polyester, fleece or even vinyl. Some come with a waterproof lining while others go the extra mile and have soft, plush fabric on either side to keep your baby warm during changes.
You can pick from a variety of colors and patterns too, brightening up every diaper change (show me a parent who wouldn’t appreciate some cheering up when on diaper duty!). You can even match them to your baby’s nursery theme or crib bedding.
These covers essentially play the role of giving the changing pad extra protection against any mess during diaper changing. They keep the changing pad clean by absorbing excess pee when your baby decides to spurt! You can quickly remove the cover and keep the changing pad hygienic for the next change.
Tips for Using Changing Pad Covers
Yes, you could simply slip a towel or swaddle blanket over the changing pad but I’m talking about making parenting easier here. Keeping a few changing pad covers in the cupboard is no big deal.
Here are some tips for using changing pad covers:
- Material type: Use a lighter fabric during summer to keep your baby cool and a softer, plush fabric during winter to keep your baby snug and warm during diaper changes. The Baebae Goods Changing Pad Covers come in 100% cotton for extra comfort (and any parent would love the designs too of this one).
- Fitted style: Most covers are designed to fit snugly onto the changing pad. This keeps them from bunching up while changing your baby’s diapers. It’s also safer so you don’t need to worry about your baby sliding off the pad because the fabric is slipping. I like the elastic bottom and straps of the TILLYOU Jersey Knit Ultra Soft Changing Pad Cover Set. You’ll easily get them onto your pad and secure them tightly.
- Size: While most covers are designed to fit standard size changing pads, always make double-sure by measuring the pad before buying the covers. The BROLEX Stretchy Changing Pad Covers are designed to fit most changing pads.
- Waterproof material: Some covers come with a lining of waterproof material. This is a good idea for stopping liquid messes from getting to the changing pad. It also means you won’t have pee sliding off the pad and soaking you instead.
- Colors and prints: While not essential, picking a cover that matches your baby’s nursery adds a nice touch and will look stylish too. Bright colors are cheerful and different prints are fun. Why not bring a bit of fun into diaper changing?
If you follow these tips, you can’t go wrong in picking the best changing pad cover for your baby’s diaper changing needs. And, while we’re on the topic of keeping diapers changing simple, check out my article about diaper caddies and being organized.
Everything You Need to Know at a Glance
Here’s a table answering every question you have about changing pad covers with a quick answer (I like to keep things simple!).
|Your Question||The Quick Answer|
|How many covers do I need?||2 - 3|
|What materials are they made of?||- Cotton/organic cotton
- Polyester blends
- Jersey Knit
|What size are the covers?||Most are designed to fit standard changing pads measuring 16 inches x 32 inches.|
|How do I attach the cover to my changing pad?||Fitted covers have an elastic bottom and straps with buckles. Slide over the pad and tighten the strap so the cover fits snugly.|
|How do I clean the cover?||- Covers are machine-washable.
- Most can be placed into the tumble dryer (check the label)
- Wipe down vinyl covers with water and soap
|Are changing pad covers safe to use?||Yes, as long as they fit snugly onto the pad and made with high quality fabric.|
|Are these covers expensive?||Compared to other baby items, changing pad covers are relatively cheap.|
Watch this video if you’re feeling like crafting your own changing pad with quilted material. And, if you’re not up to making your own read my Hatch Baby Grow vs Keekaroo vs Bumbo vs Skip Hop Changing Pads to give you more products to pick from.
Changing pad covers are a baby item designed to be functional and to make life as a parent easier. They’re inexpensive, simple to use, and give your baby added comfort during diaper changing time. Having more than one cover and my recommendation is to have two or three on hand, simply means less time spent in the laundry.
So, when you add the changing pad to your baby registry, don’t forget to include changing pad covers.
Have you been using changing pad covers? I would love to hear from you and know how many you’ve found useful in the nursery. Please feel free to add your comments in the comments section below.