Feeding times can sometimes be quite a mess. Especially when you have a little one who insists on smearing food everywhere! Cleaning the high chair might be easy enough, but cleaning its straps can be a challenge if they’re non-removable or if there are stubborn stains, or if they have mold.
Here’s a quick answer to how to clean your high chair straps
The simplest way to clean high chair straps is with hot water and dish soap or laundry detergent. For staining, soak the straps for a few hours, or overnight if possible. If they aren’t removable, simply spray the soapy mixture on the straps, scrub, rinse off and allow them to dry.
- Here’s a quick answer to how to clean your high chair straps
- How often to clean a high chair and its straps
- Can you put high chair straps in the washing machine?
- How to clean high chair straps that are stained – step-by-step guide
- How to clean mold off high chair straps
- How to clean specific brands’ models
- How to clean Graco high chair straps
- How to clean 4moms high chair straps
- How to clean Chicco high chair straps
- How to clean Peg Perego high chair straps
- How to clean Stokke high chair straps
- How to clean Joie high chair straps
- How to clean IKEA high chair straps
- How to clean Fisher-Price high chair straps
- How to clean Lalo straps
- How to clean Baby high chair straps
- Easy to clean high chair straps
- Final Thoughts
How often to clean a high chair and its straps
The aim is to give the high chair a good wipe down after every meal. This will prevent food buildup and staining. Ideally, you should give your high chair a good wash down at least once a week. This includes the straps, seat pads, and any other crevices where food and juice could be building up.
Can you put high chair straps in the washing machine?
Throwing the straps in the washing machine might possibly be the easiest way to clean high chair straps. However, before doing that, be sure to read the manufacturer’s label to ensure the straps can actually be washed in the machine.
How to clean high chair straps that are stained – step-by-step guide
Wiping down the occasional spill on the straps is easy enough. However, some foods can leave stains, and can be quite difficult to wash out! Fortunately, there are a few easy steps to follow that will help you get the straps looking as good as new in no time!
How to clean straps that are removable
Removable straps are usually the easiest kinds to clean.
- Remove the straps
- Wipe/scratch off any food pieces
- Pour some laundry detergent or dish soap into a tub of hot water
- Leave the straps in the soapy mixture for a few hours or overnight
- Use a soft brush to gently scrub any dry food
Sometimes food can really soak into the straps and make it quite difficult to wash out. One of the most common forms of cleaning methods is using Milton sterilizing liquid which has been around for years. In fact, your own mother might have used it to clean your bottles, pacifiers, and bottle nipples.
Many households use Milton to clean everything from kitchen surfaces, bathrooms, and everything in between! It’s an ideal solution to sanitize your baby’s high chair and straps!
Cleaning Straps with Milton
- Pour some Milton into a small tub of hot water
- Place the straps in the solution and ensure they’re completely submerged
- The minimum time for soaking is 15 minutes but, for stained straps, 24-hour soaking is recommended.
How to clean straps that are non-removable
The steps to follow for non-removable straps are listed below:
- Remove any detachable parts off the high chair
- Take the high chair outside
- Make a solution of hot water with laundry detergent or Milton
- Spray/pour the solution all over the straps
- If the straps are heavily stained, soak for a few hours
- Use a soft brush to scrub the straps, focussing extensively on stained areas
- Rinse with warm water
- Wipe the chair down and allow it to dry completely before using the chair
How do you get spaghetti stains out of high chair straps?
Spaghetti sauce can be a real nightmare to get out of anything! But here are the steps to take.
- Remove any dried food with a sponge
- Apply a stain remover to remove the stain
- If the straps are removable, take them off and soak in a water and soap solution
- For light-colored straps, you can also use hydrogen peroxide or vinegar
- Let the straps soak for a few hours
- Use a soft brush to scrub out the stain
- Rinse thoroughly and air dry
For straps that can’t be removed, follow the same solution but pour or spray liberally while the chair stands outside.
How to clean mold off high chair straps
When food gets under the straps it forms the ideal environment for mold to grow. One of the most effective ways to clean mold is by using white vinegar.
- Make a white vinegar and water solution
- Spray the solution onto the straps if they’re non-removable
- For removable straps, submerge the straps in a tub of the solution
- Let the straps soak for about 10 minutes
- You can scrub the food and mold off with a soft brush
- Once the mold is off, you can wash the straps with a soap solution or a mixture of Milton sterilizing solution
- Rinse off and allow to dry
- Remember to clean the area around the straps to avoid any remaining traces of the mold
How to clean specific brands’ models
Not all high chair straps are made the same. Some materials might be more durable than others. Other types of material can’t be washed with bleach solutions or sterilizing solutions as these will damage the straps.
Ensure you check the manufacturer’s label to know which cleaning agent would be most suited to cleaning your particular high chair brand.
How to clean Graco high chair straps
Many parents consider Graco chair straps to be the easiest to clean. The leatherette seat pad and cloth straps are all removable and easily machine washed. On the messy sessions between laundry days, the straps can simply be wiped down!
How to clean 4moms high chair straps
4moms high chairs make use of a harness system made of nylon straps. These straps can easily be wiped clean using warm water and a mild soap solution. The shoulder straps on the harness can be removed and machine washed.
How to clean Chicco high chair straps
Chicco recommends cleaning their baby product fabrics by spot cleaning, hand or machine wash, depending on the particular product. They’re very clear about NOT using bleach, sterilizing solutions or harsh cleaning chemicals to clean their straps. Harsh chemicals may damage or weaken the plastics and straps.
- Hand wash: Wash straps with a mild soap and water solution. Soak and gently scrub with a soft brush.
- Machine wash: Wash in cold water on the delicate cycle using a mild detergent. Air dry only. (don’t place in the dryer)
How to clean Peg Perego high chair straps
The Peg Perego harness or chair cover can be taken off and simply machine washed. Ensure this is done on a cold cycle and air-dried afterward. As with other harnesses, you shouldn’t put them in the drier.
How to clean Stokke high chair straps
With Stokke high chairs, such as its popular Tripp Trapp, its straps are part of a harness and can’t be individually moved. According to the manufacturer the best way to clean the straps is as follows:
- Remove the harness
- Machine washes at 40 degrees.
- Air dry
Another way of washing the straps is to spray a water and soap solution onto the straps and soak for a few minutes. Wipe up excessive water and soap and allow it to dry.
How to clean Joie high chair straps
While Joie high chair straps can easily be removed, they shouldn’t be machine washed.
- Remove the straps
- Place in warm soapy solution to soak
- Scrub if necessary, using a soft brush
- Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry
How to clean IKEA high chair straps
IKEA chair straps are very easy to clean!
- Soak the straps in a hot water and laundry detergent solution.
- Depending on how dirty the straps are, soak for a few hours or overnight.
- You can add white vinegar or baking soda for odor removal.
- Scrub the straps with a soft brush to remove stains and stuck-on food.
How to clean Fisher-Price high chair straps
Fisher-Price high chair straps can easily be cleaned with half water and vinegar solution.
- Ensure the straps are very wet as this will loosen built-up food much easier
- Let the straps sit for 5-10 minutes, longer for stubborn stains.
- Scrub any stubborn foods with a gentle brush.
- Air dry.
How to clean Lalo straps
Lalo straps can be removed and machine washed. Ideally, you should put the straps in a mesh bag to keep them from getting damaged. For hand wash, simply soak in water and mild detergent. Add baking soda to the mix to remove odors. Whether you wash by hand or machine, only air drying is recommended. Don’t place straps in the dryer.
How to clean Baby high chair straps
The HM-Tech Baby chair straps are simple to clean! Simply wipe down the harness with a damp cloth. The straps can be removed and washed using soap and water!
Easy to clean high chair straps
If you’re looking for the easiest straps to clean, options that are easy to remove and just pop into the washing machine are clear winners. A great example of this is the Graco DuoDiner model. The straps are easy to loosen, and wash in the machine on a cold cycle!
Unlike your high chair, a simple wipe-down might not remove all the food particles that build up and soak into the straps. This food build-up can cause staining or even skin irritations on little arms.
With the information in this article, you should be able to find the best way to clean the straps of your particular high chair brand. Dirty, food-stained straps can now be a thing of the past!
If you’re into cleaning your high chair properly, you might want to check out my other article on how to clean its trays – are they dishwasher safe?