Are you looking for the best organic, non-toxic, natural diapers, (eco-friendly diapers) on the market? Contrary to public belief, there are reasonably priced organic diapers that won’t harm your baby OR the environment. The Honest Company Eco-Friendly Diapers might just be what you’re looking for.
Given an option between regular and organic diapers, opt for the latter. Yes, in most cases, they will cost you a bit more. But the benefits to your baby are huge. And you’ll be saving the planet in the process. You might know that I care very much about the environment – see e.g. this podcast guest appearance of mine on a notable podcast that wants to save our planet.
You can be both you know: a responsible parent AND a responsible citizen of the world. Read on to find out more, how, and why.
Going Green with Organic Baby Diapers
The goal of this section is pretty simple: to help you realize why joining the “green movement” is one of the coolest things you can do for your little one. And of course give you all the information you need to pick the right organic diaper. Here goes!
What is an Organic Baby Diaper?
Before we even dive deep into this topic, let’s take it from the top. I’ll start by defining what exactly organic diapers are so we are all on the same page. Organic diapers are made from natural plant-based ingredients. In short, they are free from chemicals that are known to cause skin irritations, rash, such as diaper dermatitis on your baby’s delicate skin. Now, you can decide to pick either cloth or disposable organic diapers. It’s up to you. Cloth if you want washable and reusable diapers that come in a wide variety of different textures. Disposable if you prefer a more travel-friendly and convenient option—without having to deal with potential blowouts and regular cleaning. The point is whichever type you pick, organic diapers are gentler on your baby’s skin and more eco-friendly.
What’s the Problem with NON-Organic Baby Diapers?
No non-organic baby diaper manufacturer will openly admit this, but there are a lot of chemicals involved in the manufacturing of these diapers. Of course, their inclusion is in no way meant to intentionally harm your baby. Rather they’re incorporated in an attempt to make the diaper more effective at leak absorption and keeping your baby dry—basically everything you require from the product. But with any chemically- laced product, while there are benefits, potential risks can’t be totally eliminated. And that’s the dilemma parents are faced with when picking baby diapers. Non–organic diapers contain chemicals which if they mix with baby poop become even more toxic. Rashes, allergic reactions and irritations are what your baby may have to deal with. And let’s not get started on the negative impact non-organic diapers have on the environment as a whole. Studies show that non-organic diapers contribute dramatically to unprecedented levels of landfills yearly – millions of regular diapers end up in landfills. In other words, they introduce toxins to the environment which may end up in water sources, potentially polluting your drinking water. Who knew?! But guess what? A smart diaper purchasing decision can reverse all that.
The Pros and Cons of Organic Baby Diapers
I don’t know about you but purchasing organic baby diapers certainly seems like the clear way to go. But in the midst of all the benefits, they too are not without their own disadvantages. I’ll list both the pros and cons of organic diapers so you get a full picture of what you’re dealing with here.
- Landfill friendly
- Reusable in the case of cloth organic diapers
- Gentle on your baby’s skin to prevent irritations
- Mostly hypoallergenic and latex-free to prevent allergic reactions
- Convenient and travel friendly
- Easy to use
- Flushable depending on the brand
- Typically more expensive than regular diapers
- Don’t contain blowouts effectively in the case of cloth diapers
- Not available in abundance on the market (as is the case with non-organic diapers)
- Generally suffer a bad rep because they’re are mainly associated with being ill-fitting and ineffective at leak and poop control
How to Pick the Right Organic Diaper
You’ve got all the facts, now it’s time to pick the right one. Keep the following checklist in mind and you’ll find the entire process a breeze. The size, fit, and comfort of the diaper are non-negotiable. And this goes with any diaper, be it organic or non-organic. You want to make sure that you pick the right size diaper depending on your baby’s weight and ensure it fits perfectly without leaving any spaces or gaps. More importantly, the diaper must provide your baby with maximum comfort. Fortunately, most organic diapers are chemical, fragrance, paraben, and dye-free so you don’t have to worry about that. But over and above these factors, pay attention to the following additional factors when picking organic diapers.
- Type – I touched on this aspect earlier. You have to make a decision between the type of diaper you want; is it a cloth or disposable organic diaper?
- Materials – What materials make up the diaper? We get that all organic diapers feature plant-based materials, but also pay attention to other factors. Does the material allow your baby’s skin to breathe? Is it soft? Does it effectively contain odors?
- Absorbent properties – Does the diaper feature exceptional absorbent properties? At the end of the day, you want a diaper that keeps your baby’s bottom nice and dry for long periods. This means picking a diaper that’s designed to not only absorb fluids but also lock them in.
- Hypoallergenic & antibacterial properties – No matter how careful you are, your baby will get wet at some point. The least you can do is pick a diaper that features hypoallergenic properties. This way the risk of possible irritations is significantly reduced.
- Wetness indicator – A diaper that features a wetness indicator is a plus. You’ll know when it’s time to change your baby so they don’t remain wet for hours.
- Flexible waistband – With regards to your baby’s comfort, make sure that the diaper you pick features an elastic waistband which you can adjust accordingly.
- Price – After all is said and done, your budget will determine the product you pick. Remember your baby will be going through these fast. Pick a brand you can afford.
My Top Picks
- Best Overall – The Honest Company Eco-Friendly Diapers
- Best for Sensitive Skin – Andy Pandy Biodegradable Bamboo Disposable Diapers
- Best Brand Reputation – Pampers Pure Diapers
- Best for Growing Babies – Earth’s Best Disposable Diapers
- Best for Buying in Bulk – Bambo Nature Eco-Friendly Baby Diapers
Best Overall – The Honest Company Eco-Friendly Diapers
I’ll start off with my favorite organic diaper. Think ultra-soft, super comfortable, and extra safe. The three terms basically describe these affordable eco-friendly diapers down to a tee. And The Honest Company is the brains behind this product. The liner that comes into direct contact with your baby’s skin is extremely soft making it a dream for your baby’s skin. And it rapidly wicks away moisture too. Your baby’s comfort concerns are also taken care of by the comfy elastic waistband and fastening tabs that you can easily adjust.
Who It’s For?
These diapers are perfect to pack for those long-distance trips.
Why You Should Buy This
Firstly, the cute pandas and safari print will make your baby look more adorable. Secondly, your baby will be kept dry for long periods of time. This is because they are designed to hold fluids up to 17 times their weight. Add being fragrance, chlorine, and latex-free to that list and that’s the product you’ll have if you pick this brand.
- Weight: 4.1lb
- Number: 80
- Size: 1
- Excellent absorption properties
- Reasonably priced
- Have a more contoured fit compared to others
- Run very small (so remember to buy a size up)
- Produce a slight chemical smell
Best for Sensitive Skin – Andy Pandy Biodegradable Bamboo Disposable Diapers
Andy Pandy is the brand behind this exceptional disposal diaper designed to keep your baby dry, comfortable, and rash free. The moisture-wicking ability and thermal regulating bamboo incorporated in this product make sure of this. Your baby’s comfort is also taken care of thanks to the ultra-comfortable material which feels soft against their skin. Plus, the diaper features both hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties to keep irritations at bay.
Who It’s For
It’s perfect for babies with sensitive skin.
Why You Should Buy It
These diapers feel soft and silky against the touch. Now imagine how they’ll feel against your baby’s skin? That’s absolute comfort guaranteed. Despite being soft, they are surprisingly strong. Wetness and odors are kept under control thanks to the excellent absorbent abilities and odor resistant material. And because they are 100 % degradable, the environment is also spared for pollution. All in all this purchase is a win-win, don’t you agree?
- Weight: 2.6lb
- Number: 50
- Size: Newborn
- Contains poop effectively
- Doesn’t cause diaper rashes
- Very stretchy for a comfortable fit
- Diaper’s integrity weakens when wet
- Run big so tiny babies will struggle to get the right size
Best Brand Reputation – Pampers Pure
What’s a diaper discussion without including a Pamper product? Being one of the leading baby product brands, we expect nothing but high-quality diapers from the brand. And true to form, the diapers are made free from chlorine bleaching, fragrances, and parabens. They are made using a blend of premium cotton and soft plant-based fibers. Apart from providing a soft and protective barrier on your baby’s bottom, the materials also effectively absorb wetness. Couple them with Pamper Aqua Pure wipes and you’ll have one happy and dry baby on your hands.
Who It’s For
This diaper is a great option for babies that weigh between 8 and 14lb.
Why You Should Buy This
Pampers Pure diapers offer unmatched skincare for your baby’s bottom. The hypoallergenic properties ensure that irritations and rashes are kept at bay. They provide up to 12 hours of leak protection to keep your child dry all through the day—and night.
- Weight: 8.93lb
- Number: 198
- Size: 4
- No funny chemical smells
- Control leg blowouts effectively
- Super soft
- On the more expensive side
- No wetness indicator
Best for Growing Babies – Earth’s Best Disposable Diapers
Quality is synonymous with the brand Earth’s Best. So I really don’t expect anything less from their diapers. Their diapers have all the properties you expect from organic diapers. They are fragrance, dye, chlorine, and latex-free. But to take it a step further, the diaper features a moisture barrier cuff that serves to keep wetness under control. Your baby will always be dry and comfortable if you opt for this brand.
Who It’s For
This is the choice for babies that weigh up to 14lb.
Why You Should Buy This
I like that the diapers have breathable sides. Your little one is kept comfortable throughout the day. To add on to your baby’s comfort, the diapers also have adjustable soft and stretchy panels. Adjusting them for your baby’s comfort is a breeze, not to mention how this can also effectively minimize leakages. You have seven different sizes to pick from. You can use this brand right until your baby’s toddler years.
- Weight: 7.2lb
- Number: 40
- Size: Newborn
- Keeps leaks under control
- Contains poop well
- Super soft and comfortable for baby
- They run small
- Give off an unpleasant smell when wet
Best for Buying in Bulk – Bambo Nature Eco-Friendly Baby Diapers
Bambo Nature prides itself on producing comfortable and safe diapers that are made of natural ingredients. And that’s exactly what you can expect if you make this your go-to organic diaper. These diapers feature a classic eco-friendly design that is designed to prevent the occurrence of possible diaper rash and irritations. Your baby’s skin is kept clean and healthy. Allergic reactions are also significantly reduced if you opt for this product thanks to the hypoallergenic properties.
Who It’s For
Bambo Nature diapers are perfect for parents that prefer buying diapers in bulk.
Why You Should Buy This
I love the plush layer that’s designed to feel super soft against your little one’s delicate skin. Plus the same layer is breathable too for your baby’s comfort. Chances of your baby’s bottom becoming soaked in urine are minimal because the diaper features ultra-absorbent properties. Your child is kept dry throughout the day and night.
- Weight: 14.5lb
- Number: 180
- Size: 4
- Amazing absorption properties
- Dye and fragrance free
- Prevents occurrence of diaper rash
- Runs wide so they may not fit more petite babies
- Some may arrive with moulds because of poor packaging
- Rather expensive
Do hospitals also use organic diapers?
Based on my research I discovered that, unfortunately, most hospitals use non-organic diapers particularly Pampers Swaddlers and Huggies.
Are organic diapers 100% biodegradable?
While you will get a few organic diapers that are 100% biodegradable, most aren’t. The majority are at least 75% biodegradable so they won’t completely disintegrate when disposed of.
All these products seem pretty amazing where performance, absorption, and quality are concerned. This makes it difficult to single one out. But I have to, so I’m going with The Honest Company Eco-Friendly Diaper. Maybe the cute pandas and safari print helped sway my vote a bit, but my decision is based on so much more. Firstly they are super affordable which is a huge plus considering how expensive most organic diapers are. And despite the low price, they offer excellent absorption properties to keep your baby dry at all times. However, they do produce a slight chemical smell. So, if you’re not prepared to deal with that and can afford to spend a little extra then go with the Andy Pandy diapers. Comfort, durability, urine indicator technology, and exceptional leak protection are some of the benefits they come with. And of course no chemical smells.
Last update on 2020-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API