Has your baby reached that cute stage where they’re beginning to feed themselves? As adorable as it is, you may have realized feeding your baby is no longer a chore that can happen with a fidgety baby on your lap!
It might be time to invest in a high chair. Some questions that should come up in your search: do high chairs need a footrest? Why do some have a footrest, whereas others don’t? I have a 2-year-old daughter, so I went through the high chair buying process myself and pondered about these points.
Do High Chairs Need a Footrest?
Quite simply answered, YES! Researchers have noted that footrests on high chairs allow toddlers to fidget less and help in body stabilization. A footrest on a high chair allows your little one to sit in a more comfortable position.
- Do High Chairs Need a Footrest?
- Why Should High Chairs Have Footrests? What are Some of the Benefits?
- Should the Footrest be Adjustable?
- Can I Buy a Footrest for my Existing High Chair and Install it?
- What is the Best High Chair with Footrest for Babies?
- Final Thoughts
Why Should High Chairs Have Footrests? What are Some of the Benefits?
If you’re one of those parents who doesn’t see the need for footrests on high chairs, you might want to rethink that notion.
Some of the benefits of using a footrest with your high chair include the following:
- Footrests offer a more stable underground for a seated little one. This aids in building correct posture.
- Little ones can place the necessary focus on the act of eating as opposed to placing too much emphasis on being uncomfortable.
- Since the little one is calmer when their legs have somewhere to rest against, it’s easy to develop fine motor skills by practicing the act of getting the food into their little mouth without messing.
Should the Footrest be Adjustable?
The advantage of a footrest being adjustable is that it grows with the baby. As the baby grows taller, you can adjust the footrest so that your little one continues to have the required support
Can I Buy a Footrest for my Existing High Chair and Install it?
The good news is, if you have a high chair without a footrest, you can simply buy one and easily attach it to your baby’s chair.
Which Footrests Work with IKEA high Chair, e.g. Antilop?
Would you like to add a footrest to your IKEA high chair? Well, it’s as simple as buying an extra tray for your IKEA Antilop. Carefully drill four holes where the legs are supposed to go and put the legs through the new holes. And viola! Your baby will have a footrest!
If you’re not the DIY type, then don’t panic! Another alternative is the bamboo footrest which I’ll explain in more detail in the next section.
Which Footrests Work with Other Popular High Chairs?
Two of the other most popular choices for adding footrests to your chair include the following: the Bamboo adjustable footrest and the Footsi. Let me give you some more information on both of these nifty products below.
Bamboo Adjustable High Chair Footrest and its Installation
The Bamboo adjustable footrest, as the name suggests, is made of bamboo. It’s easily adjustable which means it grows with your baby. The two rubber rings you get in the package ensure the footrest can’t be pushed down by kicking legs. Simply slide it in position and add the rubber rings to keep it imposition.
Footsi Footrest and its Installation
The best way to describe a Footsi Footrest is by imagining a hammock for your little one’s feet. The Footsi is a softer alternative and is easily removed for machine washing. Since it’s compatible with high chairs such as Antilop, Big W Uno and Mocka Designer, it’s a popular choice. Adjustable velcro straps and suction hooks ensure the Footsi are securely attached.
To find out more about how to install this footrest, watch this short YouTube clip.
How to Choose the Best High Chair with Footrest
When your child reaches the age of 6 months it might be time to start setting up a high chair. If you haven’t bought one yet, you might be wondering what makes one chair different from another. Are there specific features you should be considering? Yes, there are!
Let’s have a look at a few of them.
- Functionality: Does it have a tray that can easily be operated with one hand? Remember, chances are, your other arm is holding the baby.
- Safety: Does it have lockable wheels so that the chair can remain stationary and to prevent a rocking baby from falling. Does it have straps to secure the baby to the chair?
- Comfort: Will the high chair be comfortable? Trust me when I tell you, an uncomfortable baby won’t want to eat! Are the seat and footrest padded and soft?
- Cleaning: Babies are generally messy eaters. You need a chair that can easily be wiped or washed down. Some chairs allow for the tray to be removed and washed in the sink or dishwasher.
- Adjustability: An adjustable footrest, like the Footsi, is not fixed to the chair. This allows you to adjust the straps as your baby grows taller.
What is the Best High Chair with Footrest for Babies?
I’ve decided to share two of my favorite high chair options so that choosing the right chair is that much easier.
This model is a 6 in 1 high chair that has six height adjustments and 3 recline positions. The tray can easily be pulled out with one hand and it’s also dishwasher safe. A big plus is that the Graco Blossom can easily seat two children at once. A leatherette seating pad can be easily wiped down or washed in the machine.
With 8 height adjustable positions as well as 5 recline positions, this model also comes with 2 footrest adjustments. It can easily be wiped clean with a damp cloth. Rubber wheels allow you to move it to wherever you need it. The adjustable tray is dishwasher safe and easy to pull out with one hand. Since this chair is small and compact it can fit in any small kitchen!
From the information I’ve provided, I think you can see that it’s necessary to invest in a high chair with a footrest. Aside from improving their fine motor skills and focusing their concentration on the act of eating, your little one will be a lot more comfortable.
Another feature that can put them at ease is the reclining feature of a high chair. I found it important to consider both these features when we bought our high chair.
And as we all know, a comfortable baby is a quiet baby. Who knows, your little one might just be distracted long enough for you to have a five-minute breather and perhaps a quick meal as well!
Last update on 2022-01-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API