When it comes to choosing a car seat for your child, it seems like there are too many options, but you can’t make a decision. Asking for referrals from friends and family can only confuse you more.
You are stuck between convertible car seats or infant car seats, wondering which one is better to take your newborn home from the hospital. However, you probably don’t like the idea of buying a seat that you’ll use for a particular time only. This is why we’ve reviewed the Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 vs 85 in this post.
Apart from infant car seats, convertible car seats are great because they can multi-task. You can adjust them according to your child’s age and needs, from infancy age to childhood. The convertible car seats have two different belt adjustments, one is for infants to keep them in place, and the other one is a forward-facing adjustment to give the space to your curios little one to take part in the conversation.
Maxi-Cosi’s car seats are even more flexible and come with many features. They build seats for your child’s birth to age ten, i.e., for newborns, toddlers, and kids up to 120 pounds.
The convertible car seats can be used until your child becomes capable of sitting in the car’s own seat.
- Why Your Child Needs a Comfortable Baby Seat
- Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and Maxi-Cosi Pria 85: Main Differences
- Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and Maxi-Cosi Pria 85: Analysis of Pros and Cons
- Everything You Need to Know about Features and Specs
- Performance Review
- An Overview of Compatibility, Usability, and Comfort
- Minimum and Maximum Child Weight Limitations
- Positioning and Handling: Is There a Difference?
- Which One Is Easy to Install?
- Considerations to Select Pria 85 than Pria 70
- Cost Structure
- Warranty Guidelines
- The Final Verdict
Why Your Child Needs a Comfortable Baby Seat
When a car collides with any object, it comes to a halt suddenly. But the passengers in the car will keep moving because of the inertia. Inertia means the ability of an object to keep moving until another object or force doesn’t stop the movement.
Accidents at lower speeds can have forced more than 30 Gs. So, small children don’t have the capacity to handle car crash forces. Seat belts in a car have the ability to spread the crash’s force to stronger parts of your body, which can help you avoid death or worsen injuries by up to 50% in accidents.
However, car seats are not designed for children. They grip the upper body part of adults, like above the chest and shoulder. It avoids force action on the pelvis and ribcage. Children can’t fit into the seat belt, which is why it doesn’t work for them.
So, to avoid any incident and injury, your child needs a comfortable car seat that can play the role the same as a car seatbelt. Also, the seat should be soft and comfortable to accommodate sensitive children. Uncomfortable seats can cause bruising, scratching, or just irritation.
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and Maxi-Cosi Pria 85: Main Differences
Weight Limit Maximum
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and 85 have weight limits that are hidden in their names, 70 and 85.
The Pria 70 has a maximum weight limit of 70 pounds, and the Pria 85 has a weight limit of 85 pounds. Pria 85 gives you time to purchase a booster seat for your child because you can use it for a longer time. But some children still need booster seats due to their height growth. Keep in mind that these seats are designed according to the child’s weight. Some children’s height grows faster than their weight.
Weight Limit Minimum
Pria 70 rear-facing limit is from 9 to 40 lbs, and the forward-facing limit is from 22 to 70 lbs.
However, the Pria 85 rear-facing limit is from 14 to 40 lbs, and the forward-facing limit is from 22 to 85 lbs.
Seats’ Own Weight
Pria 85 has a weight of 20 pounds while the Pria 70 weight has different ranges starting from 22 pounds.
The difference is not too much, but it does matter for parents who want minimum weight convertible seats.
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and Maxi-Cosi Pria 85: Analysis of Pros and Cons
- It is comfortable and cushioned from top to bottom to keep your child safe and comfortable
- Pria 70 has the “TinyFit” feature, so you can use it for children weighing 4 lbs
- Its fabric is soft enough to keep your child warm in winters and comfortable in summers
- Your child can easily fall asleep because of the support of its headrest
- You can adjust it in three positions
- It has a maximum limit of 70 lbs
- You may face difficulty in tightening the straps
- The buckle is also sometimes hard to click open
- In rear-facing mode, you can’t use a tether
- You can use it for years until your child weighs 85 lbs
- Its different adjustable positions make it easy to fit it on different car seats
- It has multiple cushions from top to bottom to keep your child safe and comfortable
- It has a holder you can use to buckle in your child without reaching down to hold strap
- Pria 85’s depth is two inches smaller compared to Pria 70
- Its price is higher than Maxi Cosi Pria 70
- You can’t use it until your child weighs 14 lbs
- You can face difficulty in tightening the harness
- It is sometimes annoying to adjust its headrest
Everything You Need to Know about Features and Specs
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Features and Specs
- The rear-facing weight range is 9-40 lbs, and the forward-facing weight range is 22-70 lbs
- It has Air Protect Side Impact Protection
- Soft fabric to keep your child’s body-safe
- You can use it for infants
- Its covers can be removed for washing
- It has a cup holder
- Adjustable harness height
- One-click latch system
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 Features and Specs
- Rear-facing range 14-40 lbs and forward-facing range 22-85 lbs
- It has Air Protect Side Impact Protection
- Adjustable harness height and easy harness holders
- Covers can be easily removed, no need to uninstall the seat
- Covers are machine washable
- It has a cup holder
- One-Click push-on latch connectors
- Have soft fabric and comfortable cushions
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 performs much better than the Pria 70 because it is easy to handle. It allows you to wash covers in the washing machine, which is one of its advantages. If we talk about Pria 70, it is much more difficult to handle because of its weight, and you can’t even wash its cover in the washing machine.
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 allows you to use it for a longer time compared to Maxi-Cosi Pria 70. It is also more comfortable for your child.
An Overview of Compatibility, Usability, and Comfort
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 both feature a design that makes parents’ lives easier. They both have many features that ensure your child’s security in the car. They are also easy to install in every type of car.
However, Pria 85 has the upper hand in an advantage because you can use it when your child reaches a weight of 85. Whereas Pria 70 has a lower limit, so you can only use it until your child weighs 70 pounds.
If we talk about comfort, they are both playing their roles. Pria 70 and Pria 85 are given maximum comfort to your child. They contain cushions from top to bottom. But Pria 85 is more spacious, giving your infant a cozier feeling.
Minimum and Maximum Child Weight Limitations
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 has a minimum weight limit of 4 lbs and a maximum weight limit of 70 lbs.
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 has a minimum weight limit of 14 lbs. However, you can use it until your child weighs 85 lbs.
Positioning and Handling: Is There a Difference?
Pria 70 allows you to use it while your child is an infant of 4 lbs thanks to a feature called “TinyFit.” But Pria 85 doesn’t have this feature. Both of them have rear-facing and forward-facing features. However, they both have different limitations in these features.
Handling the Pria 85 is a lot easier because it is lighter in weight. Also, the cover is machine-washable. Pria 70 weighs more, and the covers are hand-wash only.
Which One Is Easy to Install?
Both Maxi-Cosi products are easy to install in almost all cars. But of course, the Pria 85 is easier to install because it weighs less in contrast to other Maxi-Cosi products.
Considerations to Select Pria 85 than Pria 70
Both products are great and make commuting easy with kids. But for sure, Pria 85 is the successor of Pria 70, which means it has a lot more to offer.
If you are in a hurry and want a car seat for your child weighing less than 14 pounds, then the Pria 70 is better. However, you can use it only until your child weighs 70 lbs.
On the other hand, if you can wait for a while and want a car seat for a longer time, purchase the Pria 85. You can use it until your child weighs 85 lbs.
Both Pria 70 and 85 are not too expensive, and the cost is worth to pay for these amazing convertible seats. However, the Pria 85 is a little expensive compared to Pria 70. Nonetheless, it helps you in the long run and doesn’t require that you pay for another car seat when your child grows a little bigger.
Maxi-Cosi offers lifetime warranty in their all seat products. The same goes for Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 and Pria 70; they both have a lifetime warranty.
To activate the warranty, you should have proof of purchase. You need to register the warranty within three months, and after that, you will get a lifetime warranty certificate.
The Final Verdict
Maxi-Cosi Pria has the best car seat products. Their new Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 includes many features and is easier to use than others. This Pria 85 makes your life easy. The model is easy to handle and gives more comfort to your little one. Plus, it saves your money to purchase another seat when your child grows bigger than 70 lbs.
Last update on 2021-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API