Quality storage bags maximize the nutritional value of your breast milk and make it easy to store milk that has been pumped in advance for later feedings. Two of the most popular brands currently on the market are Medela and Lansinoh. Read my Medela breast milk storage bags vs Lansinoh comparison for more information.
While both brands are firm favorites among parents, there are a few differences that might make one more favorable to your needs. Essentially, Lansinoh bags feature a double zipper closure and double seamed sides to keep milk sterile. Medela on the other hand doesn’t have double seamed sides but they’re more affordable. Both models require adaptors to work with other branded pumps. Both types are also pre-sterilized for hygiene purposes.
- Does it matter what breast milk bags you use?
- Medela Vs Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags – differences and similarities
- Medela breastmilk storage bags
- Why consider it
- Can you reuse Medela storage bags?
- Are Medela milk storage bags sterile?
- Can you use Medela storage bags with the Lansinoh pump?
- How do you pump into Medela bags (e.g. with Lansinoh pump)?
- Lansinoh breastmilk storage bags
- Why consider it
- Can you reuse Lansinoh storage bags?
- Are Lansinoh milk storage bags sterile?
- Can you use Lansinoh storage bags with a Medela pump?
- How do you pump into Lansinoh bags (e.g. with Medela pump)?
- Which is better: Medela or Lansinoh storage bags?
Does it matter what breast milk bags you use?
Essentially it doesn’t matter what breast milk bags you use. It largely depends on your budget and the breast pump you might already have. If you prefer a specific milk bag it’s worth noting that separate adaptors are available for most bags allowing them to be compatible with other pumps. If you haven’t bought your breastfeeding accessories, then you might want to read Medela versus Lansinoh breast pumps to go for?
Medela Vs Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags – differences and similarities
There are several significant similarities and key differences that might make you sway one way or the other. While both bags are disposable to prevent the risk of cross-contamination, Lansinoh models feature a double seam for added hygiene.
Unlike the Medela bags, Lansinoh bags are thinner and can lie flat for easier storage. Medela bags are smaller in size and can only store about 4oz of milk. A big deciding factor for moms is that the Medela bags are considerably cheaper!
Lansinoh and Medela milk bags are made from food-safe polyethylene. This material is BPA-free and completely non-toxic. This is reassuring for parents considering that some milk is pumped and stored for weeks at a time.
Both milk storage bags are pre-sterilized for hygiene purposes. This means they can be used straight from the packaging with no need to wash or sterilize beforehand. Lansinoh storage bags feature a double zipper to prevent leaks. Medela on the other hand boasts a durable double-layer material to keep milk safe and free of leaks in the freezer.
Both brands make it easy to pump directly into the bag if you use the right adaptor on your pump. Adaptors are necessary when the brand of the bag isn’t the same as the pump you’re using.
The Lansinoh bags can be stored lying flat or standing up, making them very accommodating for the space you have. Medela bags are designed to lie flat but can’t be stored standing up.
Medela breastmilk storage bags
The Medela Breast Milk Storage Bag is a favorite among parents. Below you’ll find out why this milk storage bag is one of the best quality items on the market.
- Hygienically pre-sealed with a double-zipper to prevent leaking
- Durable double-layer material keeps germs out during freezing
- Bags are self-standing making storage easier, can also lie flat
- Made from food-grade BPA free material
- Quick to thaw
Why consider it
Medela is a popular choice because it’s easier to store in the freezer. This is helpful if you don’t have a separate freezer for your breast milk bags. These bags are convenient and you can pump directly into the bag.
- Easy for freezing excessive milk
- Can pump directly into the bag
- Can be costly
- Smaller than Lanisoh
- Bag is stiff, making it difficult to transfer milk to the bottle
- Doesn’t seal tight
Can you reuse Medela storage bags?
Medela breast milk storage bags are designed to be used once. This is to avoid any form of cross-contamination between the breast and bag or bag and bottle. Fortunately, bulk packs of 25 or 50 mean you’ll have enough to last till you re-stock.
Are Medela milk storage bags sterile?
Medela milk storage bags are pre-sterilized and ready to use right out of the package. The storage bag is made up of a double membrane that preserves and protects the milk’s beneficial nutrients during freezing and re-warming.
Can you use Medela storage bags with the Lansinoh pump?
Medela storage bags are compatible with a variety of breast pumps, including Lansinoh. The only requirement is the relevant Lansinoh pump adaptor that allows the milk to be directly pumped into the bag.
How do you pump into Medela bags (e.g. with Lansinoh pump)?
To use a Lansinoh pump on a Medela bag, simply follow these simple steps:
- Open the pre-seal strip to open the bag
- Put the pump into the bag, with the correct adaptor
- Undo the sticky tab and use to wrap it around the bag to keep it sealed during pumping
- When done, remove pump and tab
- Seal the bag with the sealer
- Write the date on the label part to keep track of the freshness of the milk
I’ve included a simple clip to show you just how easy it is to use the Medela milk storage bag.
Lansinoh breastmilk storage bags
The Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags are the #1 seller of breastfeeding products in the U.S. This includes their nifty breast milk bags which feature a great rating because of its high quality.
- Made from BPA-free, super-strong material
- Reinforced double seam has a zipper seal to easily prevent leaks
- Easily pumped directly or by using relevant adapters
Why consider it
Parents on a budget will appreciate that this milk storage bag is considerably cheaper than a Medela bag. Another advantage is that this bag holds more milk than a Lansinoh bag and is easy to use with the easy-to-connect adapter.
- Double zipper creates a stronger seal which keeps milk fresh
- Easily holds more milk
- Can be stored flat for better storage
- More affordable than Medela
- Easy to use
- Requires an adaptor to attach to Medela pumps
- Can’t stand up on its own
Can you reuse Lansinoh storage bags?
Lansinoh storage bags are disposable and should only be used once. Since they are pre-sterilized, they are no longer sanitary to use again. They should be disposed of after the first use.
Are Lansinoh milk storage bags sterile?
Yes! All Lansinoh Breastmilk storage bags are pre-sterilized. Their packaging is made up of a tamper-evident secure tear-away top. Since the bags are made from food-safe polyethylene they’re both BPS and BPA free.
Can you use Lansinoh storage bags with a Medela pump?
Using Lansinoh storage bags with a Medela pump is fairly simple. All it requires is a Lansinoh pump adapter attached to your Medela pump, which allows milk to be pumped directly into the storage bags.
How do you pump into Lansinoh bags (e.g. with Medela pump)?
If you use a Medela pump with your Lanisnoh bags, the good news is, this too is a simple process. Simply follow these easy steps:
- Ensure that you purchase the right adaptors as well as a set of Medela flanges
- Cut a small hole above the zipper of the bag to allow the adaptor to be hooked on
- Twist the adapter onto the Medela flange
- Hook the Lansinoh bag onto the Medela adapter and flange using the holes you cut onto the bag
- Once the adaptor is secured on properly, you can easily pump the milk out as normal
Here’s a short clip to show you just how easy it is to use the Lansinoh milk storage bags.
Which is better: Medela or Lansinoh storage bags?
While the Medela storage bags are cheaper, the Lansinoh usually hold more milk, which ultimately makes them more cost-effective. Many moms have stated they can easily store 10 oz of expressed milk in their Lansinoh bags. Aside from their pre-sterilized features, the double zipper easily prevents leaks, making it a no mess, no fuss solution!
Once you’ve decided on your milk storage bags of choice, you’d benefit from reading my article on whether breast milk storage bags have expiration dates as well as comparing breast milk storage bags to bottles to get a better idea of the option best for you!
Last update on 2023-08-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API