Baby wrap carriers are popular with many parents who want close body contact with their babies. Choosing the right one becomes challenging especially if you’re down to the Baby K’tan Breeze vs Active vs Original carriers. I like the Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier because it’s great for hiking with the baby.
Key features such as the type of material used to construct these different Baby K’tan baby wrap carriers make a difference to comfort for both the parent and the baby. Other essential features include multiple carrying positions and safety.
My research into these three baby wrap carriers also highlighted the fact that they’re not one-size-fits-all carriers. If both parents are taking turns in carrying your baby, you’ll need to either buy two carriers or get one that’ll adjust to your different body frames.
As a person living in mountainous Switzerland, I love to go hiking and I know the importance of a great baby carrier. Hiking should be pleasant suffering: you want to sweat but you don’t want to feel a lot of pain, e.g. from a badly chosen carrier.
To get a clearer picture of what makes each of these Baby K’tan products different (and similar) to each other, read on. My comparison review will also help you pick the right baby wrap carrier as well as how to figure out the sizes. I’ll wrap up with the pros and cons of having a Baby K’tan baby wrap carrier.
Baby K’tan: A Bit About the Brand
Baby K’tan came about in 2007 when two families decided to design a product for carrying their babies with special needs. They wanted a baby sling that would let them nourish their baby’s healthy development as much as possible while still raising their other children.
After experimenting with a range of baby carriers, wraps, and slings on the market, the two families got innovative and came up with something better. The result? A baby wrap carrier that allowed ease of use, comfort, and elegance.
The Baby K’tan Baby Carrier was born!
This brand has grown from the original baby wrap carrier and now includes the Breeze and Active designs. You can choose from a wide range of prints and colors and you can even get the Baby K’tan Organic Baby Wrap Carrier. Their other products include stylish diaper bags and hand sanitizer packs.
All their products reflect their motto, “Simple. Smart. Stylish”.
Differences and Similarities: Baby K’tan Breeze vs Active vs Original
When you decided to go with a Baby K’tan, I’m sure you thought you had solved all your baby carrying problems. That is until you realized Baby K’tan had a range of baby wrap carriers to pick from! Now, you find yourself trying to decide whether the Original is better for you or the Breeze? And, how about the Active one?
If you’re feeling confused, then check out the list of differences and similarities I’ve highlighted below. It should make your decision-making process a little easier.
If you look more closely, you’ll notice the three different models do have some distinct differences. These include:
- Material type: While both the Original and the Breeze are made with 100% cotton, the Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier is made with 100% polyester. This means the Original and Breeze models are made with natural materials while the Active model isn’t.
- Construction: The Baby K’tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier is constructed with jersey knit, while the Baby K’tan Breeze Baby Wrap Carrier is constructed with half jersey knit/half mesh knit. The Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier is constructed with hi-performance sports mesh.
- Feel: Both the Original and Breeze models are soft to the touch but if you like going with the silky feel, then the Active model is your pick.
- UVA protection: Only the Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier offers over 90% UVA protection compared to the other two models which don’t.
- Moisture-wicking: The material of the Active model is the only one that offers moisture-wicking by drawing moisture away from your body.
You can see that the key differences are influenced by the type of material used and its construction.
The best feature shared by all three Baby K’tan baby wrap carriers in this review is the fact you can pull the wrap over your body without trying to figure out how to wrap it. You also don’t have to fuss with buckles or snaps. The double-loop design means all you have to do is simply throw it on like you would a T-shirt.
Other key similarities include:
- Multiple positions: You have the option of 5 different positions and this is done by using the adjustable back loop. This allows for ergonomic positioning as well as equal distribution of weight across the wearer’s shoulders and back.
- Weight range: All three baby carriers are suitable for babies from birth to 35 pounds.
- Cleaning: You can toss the baby carriers into the washing machine as they’re all designed to be machine-washable. They can also be safely put into the tumble dryer.
The similarities shared by all the Original, Breeze, and Active models means they carry the same benefits of the unique Baby K’tan design.
My Top Picks
- Best Overall – Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier
- Best Value – Baby K’tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier
- Best Alternative – Baby K’tan Breeze Baby Wrap Carrier
Use this in-depth product review of each product so you can see for yourself the key features of the three models.
Best Overall – Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier
The most striking feature of this model compared to the other two in this review is the material type. This baby wrap carrier is made with 100% polyester and is constructed from hi-performance sports mesh.
For anyone who is familiar with hiking or spending a lot of time outdoors, a backpack that has moisture-wicking fabric is a bonus. The same applies to this baby wrap carrier. This type of fabric is able to draw moisture away from the body, keeping both your and your baby cool and dry.
Furthermore, the baby wrap carrier offers over 90% UVA protection, another important factor to consider when outdoors with your baby. The silky feel of this carrier gives added comfort to both the parent and the baby.
Sizes range from XXS to XL and you need to make sure the size you get fits the carrier snugly to ensure a secure hold. The fabric will stretch slightly after some use so it may be advisable to go a size down if you’re worried about it being too big.
- Great for keeping cool during summer
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Easy to put on and take off
- Limited color choices
- Fabric stretches so correct sizing may be challenging
Best Value – Baby K’tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier
The nice thing about getting the Original model is that you score from all the features that make this carrier a popular choice among parents. You can pick between 5 different positions using the adjustable look on the back. It’s easy to put on and take off. And, you can use it when your baby is newborn until they weigh 35 pounds.
The material is 100% cotton and it’s constructed with jersey knit. While it may not offer the moisture-wicking feature of the Active model, the fabric is breathable. This means your baby will stay cool and comfortable.
Your baby’s natural hip development will not be hindered by the design of this carrier which is approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. The unique one-way stretch of the fabric keeps your baby cozy while secure at the same time.
You can machine-wash the carrier and dry it in the dryer without worrying about it being ruined in the process. If you’re looking for value without compromising on the Baby K’tan quality, you’ll love this model.
- Cotton feels softer than the mesh-type material
- Easy step-by-step instructions included
- Great for parents or caregivers with back issues
- Can’t be used by parents or caregivers with different body sizes
- Finding the correct sizing is challenging
- Warning label sewn inside can rub up against baby’s skin
Best Alternative – Baby K’tan Breeze Baby Wrap Carrier
If I had to pick an alternative to either of the above-mentioned models, this Breeze model would work well. Once again, it shares all the selling features of the Baby K’tan design such as the multiple ergonomic positions, adjustable back loop, easy to slip on and take off, and conducive to healthy hip development.
It’s made with 100% breathable cotton so your baby will be cool and comfortable. The fabric is half jersey knit and half mesh knit. And, herein lies the main difference. You can opt to rotate the mesh so it’s in the front or at the back. Either option gives you better airflow at the back or the front.
Having the flexibility to rotate the carrier allows you to decide which fit is the most comfortable for you and your baby when you’re outdoors. However, unlike the Active, the fabric doesn’t offer over 90% UVA protection.
This all-natural fabric carrier is machine-washable and can be placed safely into the dryer. It’s soft to the touch and comes in individual sizes to suit the parent or caregiver’s body frame.
- Easy to put on with minimal fussing
- Comfortable for both parent and baby
- Fabric doesn’t stretch too much keeping the baby secure and snug
- Only comes in gray or black colors
- Mesh is scratchy to the touch
- The fit may be too tight for some wearers
How to Pick the Best Baby K’tan Carrier for You and Your Baby
You now need to decide which Baby K’tan model will suit you and your baby best. All three models are easy to put on (just like putting on your favorite T-shirt according to the designers!) and you can position them in 5 different ways. The ergonomic positioning also means you’re not carrying the weight of your baby uncomfortably on your shoulders and back.
All three models are easy to clean. Simply throw them into the machine on laundry day and if it’s raining, use the dryer. No hassles there!
So, how to pick the best Baby K’tan when you’re choosing between the Breeze vs Active vs Original models? Use the following criteria to help you make the final decision:
- Outdoor use: Are you looking for a carrier that will keep both you and your baby cool and dry while you’re on a hike or in the park? Then the Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier is your solution with its 100% moisture-wicking polyester constructed with hi-performance sports mesh. The fabric also offers over 90% protection from the sun’s UV rays.
- Flexibility: If you’re looking for a baby wrap carrier that can be used for both indoors and outdoors, the Baby K’tan Breeze Baby Wrap Carrier gives you the option of rotating the fabric so you can have airflow on either the back or the front.
- Budget-friendly: The Baby K’tan Original Baby Wrap Carrier is a great pick for parents working on a tight budget. While you may not benefit from the airflow of the Breeze and the wicking away of sweat and moisture of the Active, you’ll still get all the main features that make this carrier a win for parents.
With three models to pick from, you’ll easily find a Baby K’tan baby carrier that’s ideal for you and your baby’s carrying needs.
What Size Baby K’tan Should I Get?
One factor that stood out throughout my review of these three Baby K’tan carriers was the sizing. While some brands produce one-size-fits-all baby carriers, this doesn’t apply to Baby K’tan. Their wraps are designed to fit the individual carrying the baby. This does become a problem when both parents differ vastly in shape and size!
To ensure you get a snug and secure fit for your baby, Baby K’tan designers suggest the following tips to ensure you get the right Baby K’tan for your shape and size:
- Use the sizing calculator on the brand’s website. Plugin your pre-pregnancy dress size, your weight, and your height.
- If you fall between two size categories on the sizing chart, then go down a size.
- If you’re 5’2″ or shorter go a size down but NOT with XS to XXS.
- Use your pre-pregnancy size to determine the right size carrier.
The key to sizing your baby carrier is NOT the age or the weight of your baby which is standard anyway. All Baby K’tan baby wrap carriers will take a baby from birth to 35 pounds. The focus is on the adult carrying the baby.
These tips will confirm if you’ve got the right size carrier:
- The carrier sits just below your chest and above your navel when your baby isn’t in the carrier.
- The carrier sits below your navel or waist but NOT below your hips when your baby is seated in the carrier. If this happens, get a smaller size. If the carrier sits on the chest, you’ll need a larger size.
- The carrier feels snug and may even feel tight when using for the first time.
Watch this video for some great sizing tips.
Sizing chart for Baby K’tan
Use this sizing chart if you don’t have access to the Baby K’tan sizing calculator or the one directly from the brand.
|Women (Clothing Size)|
|Size of carrier||US||UK|
|Up to 0|
2 - 4
6 - 8
10 - 14
16 - 20
22 - 24
|Up to 2|
4 - 6
8 - 10
12 - 16
18 - 22
24 - 26
|Men (Jacket or Chest Size)|
Up to 36
37 - 38
39 - 42
43 - 46
47 - 52
0 to 36
37 - 38
39 - 42
43 - 46
47 - 52
Pros and Cons: Baby K’tan Breeze vs Active vs Original
Baby K’tan baby wrap carriers have been designed by parents who know what it’s like to carry their babies close to their bodies. They also understand it’s essential to ensure the design doesn’t hamper the baby’s natural growing development. But there’s more to these baby wrap carriers that make them a good option.
The pros of owning a Baby K’tan baby wrap carrier include:
- The multiple ergonomic positioning gives you a number of carrying options plus you can find the best distribution of weight without your baby becoming a load on your shoulders or back.
- The double-loop design means you can put the carrier on without trying to figure out how to wrap or fold endless pieces of fabric. This ensures your baby is seated safely and comfortably while in the carrier.
- They come in a wide range of sizes which means there’s one for everyone no matter how big or small, petite or plus-size you are.
- All the materials used are breathable with the Active model offering the moisture-wicking feature with its hi-performance sports mesh.
- You can opt for all-natural 100% cotton or go for the 100% polyester type.
- The fabric will stretch as your baby grows so your carrier will last for the first year of your baby’s life. The positioning may also be adjusted to accommodate your baby’s growing body.
- The carriers have been approved for healthy hip development.
- This is a great carrier for the safe carrying of newborns.
- All the carriers are machine-washable and dryer-safe.
Every product has its cons and the same applies to the Baby K’tan baby wrap carriers. These include:
- Getting the right size to fit the wearer can be challenging.
- If you don’t pick the Active model, you may find the carrier overheating on hot summer days.
- Color choices are limited with the Breeze and Active models.
- The adjustable loop on the back makes it difficult for the wearer to fit the carrier without help from someone else.
With the pros far outweighing the cons, you can see the Baby K’tan baby wrap carrier is a good option for carrying your baby close to you.
Can I use the Baby K’tan with my newborn?
The Baby K’tan has been designed specifically for babies from birth to 35 pounds. Your newborn will feel cozy and secure in this carrier. It’s important to position the baby carrier properly so your newborn’s head and neck are supported correctly.
Make sure you can see your baby’s face at all times. The carrier’s fabric must always be supporting the back or side of the baby’s head and at no times be covering the baby’s face.
Is Baby K’tan safe for my baby’s hips?
Healthy hip-positioning in the carrier is essential. The design of the Baby K’tan baby wrap carriers makes it easier to obtain these correct positionings. If you’re carrying your baby in the “Kangaroo-style” make sure their legs are tucked into your tummy similar to the “froggy-style” or M-shape. Your baby’s bottom must be positioned downwards and the knees upwards.
If your baby is seated with their legs free, they need to be straddled on the wearer with their hips spread naturally and knees bent. Follow the instructions given by the manufacturers to ensure your baby is positioned correctly when using the carrier. The Baby K’tan has been approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute when the baby is carried correctly.
I picked the Baby K’tan Active Baby Wrap Carrier for its hi-performance sports mesh and moisture-wicking feature. The Original model is popular with many parents while the Breeze is a good alternative to either the Active or the Original. Which one will be your pick for your baby carrying needs?
Last update on 2021-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API