Do you want to get the most out of your baby registry? Then perhaps the baby registry hacks I’ve put together will help you along the way. I enjoyed selecting the items my daughter would get to use when she came into this world. Baby registries are fun and they’re not simply for the moms out there. It can be an exciting learning experience for dads too!
But if you’re a dad-to-be you may not know what to list on your baby registry. There are some important products that you should add but there are also some fun items you can place on the registry.
In this article, I’ll be talking about what I wish I thought of before creating my baby registry so you don’t make the same mistakes I did. Additionally, I’ll give you some tips on what you should add to your list. Keep reading to learn more about baby registry hacks to get the most out of your list.
- 5 Things I Wish I Thought of for Our Baby Registry
- When Should You Start Your Baby Registry?
- How do I Make the Most Out of My Baby Registry?
- What is a Universal Registry?
- How can I Get Free Baby Products?
- What to Put on Your Baby Registry
- 7 Important Registry Items for Dad
- The 3 Most Important Registry Items for Moms
- Final Thoughts
5 Things I Wish I Thought of for Our Baby Registry
New parents tend to only list the most essential items on their baby registries such as diapers, pacifiers, or bottles. But other items cost a lot of money for new parents. Add costly items to your list so you can save money. Take a look at the five items I wish I thought of for my baby’s registry:
- Crib and mattress: A crib is one of the more costly items and can take a large chunk out of your cash. Why not add a crib and mattress to your registry so you can get it as a gift instead?
- Changing table and pad: If you’re planning on going out a lot with your little one you’re going to need a changing table and pad. This product allows you to change your baby’s diapers easily in public restrooms.
- Bibs: When my daughter started eating solids I realized you can never have enough bibs. This was one item I forgot to put on my list. Make sure you add the number of bibs you want to your list.
- Car seat: Here’s another expensive item that new parents should consider placing on their registry. Research which brand you want that makes car seats that are safe and comfortable before placing them on your list.
- Bouncer: When you need to set your baby down you’ll need something safe for your baby to sit in. Consider adding a bouncer to your registry so you have a seat that’s comfortable for your baby to sit and play in.
When Should You Start Your Baby Registry?
Some parents start creating their baby registry at the end of the first pregnancy trimester. Other parents will start putting their registries together shortly after finding out that they’re having a baby.
The best time to start your baby registry is at the beginning of your second trimester. This will give you plenty of time to research the items you’ll need the most after your baby is born.
How do I Make the Most Out of My Baby Registry?
It can be tempting to put items on your list you don’t necessarily need. That’s why it’s important to list practical items or create a minimalist baby registry that will come in handy as soon as your baby is born. What’s more, if you have a smaller space you may not want large items that will take up too much space.
Another tip is to think beyond the newborn phase. Consider the items you’ll need for the first six months with your baby. You’ll need items such as bottles after breastfeeding and consider adding toys if you have space for them.
Lastly, consider adding big and small ticket items to your registry so that your friends and family have various options to choose from to get your baby. Some family members may want to get your baby one special item whereas some people may want to group together to purchase a large product. So make sure you have a variety of options on your list.
What is a Universal Registry?
A universal registry allows parents to select items from any store they want whether it’s online or an overseas online retailer. This gives you more options because you may not find the items that you want in local stores.
On a universal registry, you can add items from various retailers such as Target or BuyBuy Baby. You can also ask for baby registry gifts from smaller specialty stores or handmade items from online shops such as Etsy.
You may also be able to add a cash gift fund to receive donations for ongoing products that you’ll need such as baby formula or diapers or even a college fund.
Using a universal baby registry will be easier for you to manage and your family and friends will have more options when gifting items listed on the registry.
How can I Get Free Baby Products?
Having a baby is exciting but the price of baby products can be high. So you want to think of various ways you can get free baby products to save on costs. Take a look at these tips below on how to get free items for your baby:
- Check with friends and family if they have baby items such as clothes and shoes that they’re giving away.
- Request free baby items from Huggies Rewards by accumulating points from buying Huggies diapers or products.
- Opt for free baby formula samples from local stores or brands that offer it such as Similac or Walmart.
- Create a practical list of items you want to get from friends and family with Amazon Registry. Here you can list all the baby items you need that you can’t find in local stores.
- Search for baby product coupons from your local stores. Or check your local newspapers for any coupons you can use to save on baby items and products.
If you’re on a tight budget the above-mentioned tips are great ways to help you save on expensive items or necessities such as formula and baby purity.
What to Put on Your Baby Registry
For new parents, it can be a tedious task trying to figure out all the products you’ll need when your baby is born. So I’ve listed some essential items below that you should add to your list to save you time on research.
Bath Time Products
Bathtime is where you get to bond with your baby. But you’ll need the right products to keep your baby clean, warm, and comfortable afterward.
Besides shampoos, body washes, and lotions, make sure you add the 100% Bamboo Hooded Baby Towel to your registry. This towel is soft and the hood will keep your baby’s head warm after you take him or her out of the bath. The towel is also safe and gentle on delicate baby skin. Or you might want to consider a baby bath mat or baby shower cap.
Changing Diapers – What do You Really Need?
Changing diapers can be a difficult task when you don’t have the right products. Ideally, you want all your products in a place that is organized so you can access them easily. Consider placing the Hiccapop Hanging Diaper Organizer on your registry. This diaper organizer is ideal for changing tables and cribs.
In the diaper organizer you can place all your diaper changing essentials such as the following:
- Baby powder
- Baby wipes
- Pacifiers and other soothers such as teddy bears
- Extra changing pad cover
The baby items you store inside the organizer can also be added to your registry if you need them.
For your newborn consider items that you can use to keep them calm during the night when they sleep. The Hatch Rest + Baby Sound Machine with night light is the perfect product to soothe your baby at bedtime – which I compared to other popular products in this post.
Connect the machine to your smartphone so you can change the color of the night light and select from various soothing sounds to keep your baby relaxed. You can also use this machine when your baby reaches his or her toddler stage because there are programs such as alarms to signal when it’s time to nap and wake up.
Clothes for Your New Baby
What are you going to clothe your newborn baby in? Do you want jumpers or separate tops and pants? List the items of clothes you want for your newborn on your registry such as the following:
- Stretchy jumpsuits that fasten in the front
- Soft beanies
- Tops with envelope necks
- Soft socks
- Newborn baby mittens for when it’s cold
Make sure you stipulate what fabric you want the clothes to be made from. Newborn baby clothes should be made with soft or plush fabric that’s gentle on the skin.
Feeding Time Necessities
You’ll need feeding items when your baby is hungry. For moms who will still be breastfeeding, there are items of clothing you can wear such as the SUIEK Racerback Nursing Tank Tops to make it easier to nurse your baby. This tank top allows you to unfasten the straps easily so you can feed your baby when you’re out and about.
Other essential feeding items to add to your registry include the following:
- Baby bottles and the correct sized nipples
- Breast pump
- Bottle warmer
- Organic burp cloths
- Nursing maternity pillow
Practical Items to Care for Your Baby
Are you looking for more practical items to care for your baby when you go out? Then you should add a diaper bag backpack to your registry.
If you’re looking for a high-quality brand consider adding the RUVALINO diaper backpack to your list. This backpack has a large capacity so you can fit all your essential baby items and organize them using the compartments. The bag is also waterproof to keep your items dry if it rains when you’re walking with your baby outside.
Here’s a list of other practical items to add to your list that you can use to care for your baby:
- Baby carrier
- Baby monitor
- Baby food maker
- Teething gel
Baby Registry Items no one Tells You About
There are some items that new parents aren’t told about. When your baby starts teething it can be a stressful time for your little one. The best item you can give your baby during this time is a teething ring he or she can chew on.
However, the teething ring should be safe and made with non-toxic materials. Another item no one tells you to get is a baby swing or rocking chair. A swinging chair is a great way to soothe your baby or to set them down when you need to work around the house.
Another item no one tells you to place on your baby registry is a high chair. You can get high chairs that recline for newborn babies. Or get a high chair that converts into a booster when your baby gets older.
7 Important Registry Items for Dad
Baby registries allow dads to add fun novelty items to the list. You can add quirky products such as the Pizza Pie & Slice Dad & Baby Set. This set will add a bit of flavor to your wardrobe when you’re out and about with your baby. Here are seven more important registry items for dads:
- Indoor safety gate: This item allows you to block off dangerous sections of the house where your baby can get injured such as the top of the stairway.
- Baby camera: When your wife is out and you’re taking care of the baby use a baby camera to keep an eye out on your little one while he or she sleeps.
- Snack boxes: Create a snack box with all your baby’s favorite eatables when you’re traveling together.
- Bottle maker: Add a bottle maker to your registry so you don’t have to worry whether you’re making your baby’s formula correctly. The machine will add the correct water and formula ratios for you
- Hiking baby carrier: Some men love to hike but you don’t have to stop doing what you love when you have a baby. Simply get a hiking baby carrier so you can comfortably carry your little one on your back during your travels.
- Team onesies: If you’re a dad that loves sports then add team onesies to your baby registry. Whether you’re a soccer or baseball fan, get your baby a onesie with your sports team’s branding on it.
- Jogging stroller: Are you a dad that takes his fitness seriously. Add a jogging stroller to your registry so you can go for runs with your baby.
The 3 Most Important Registry Items for Moms
For the mothers-to-be out there you can add important items to your baby registry that will make it easier to take care of your little one. Consider adding these three items to your list:
- Rocking chair: a rocking chair is a comfortable place for mothers to sit and rock your baby to sleep.
- Nursing pillow: Add a nursing pillow to your registry if you want to place your baby in a comfortable position when you breastfeed.
- Crib cover: Request a crib cover on your registry if you want to shield your baby from light during the day when he or she naps. Black-out crib covers allow you to still stay up late at night if your baby’s crib is in your room because it will blackout lamp lights.
Now that you know all the items that you can add to your baby registry I hope you have more confidence in creating one. You can also add gift cards to your list if you want to shop for your own items Take a look at all the items I listed in my article and consider the hacks I provided before creating your registry so you don’t miss any items you may need when your baby is born.
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API