Are you in search of the best rocking bassinet? I’m putting my money on the Fisher-Price self rocking bassinet. It’s a compact, comfortable automatic rocking bassinet that has everything your baby needs to sail off to dreamland in no time.
Most infants come home to a crib waiting for them in the nursery. But based on my experience a bassinet is the better fit for your baby – especially during the first few months of your child’s life. Keep reading to find out more.
What is the Best Rocking Bassinet on the Market?
Deciding where your little one is going to sleep isn’t as easy as it sounds. Factors such as your baby’s comfort and safety come into play. While your baby is the rightful owner of the rocking bassinet, you don’t have to disregard aspects such as your convenience, the product’s durability, and of course cost. Given all the factors you need to consider before making your pick, I don’t blame you for feeling overwhelmed. That’s the purpose of this guide. To outline the factors you need to look out for to make the right pick. I’ll also include the benefits of buying a rocking bassinet in case you’re on the fence about buying one.
What is a Rocking Bassinet?
A bassinet is like a crib, only much smaller. It’s basically a small bed for your infant that features a rocking mechanism. Rocking bassinets have been around since the early 1800s. However, with technological advancements, modern bassinets now feature sophisticated and smart designs to make your nights with your baby much easier.
The Benefits of Rocking Bassinets
A rocking bassinet offers a wide range of benefits such as the following:
- The rocking mechanism is the most notable and beneficial feature – especially if it rocks automatically. It helps your baby self-soothe. Your little one can stay calm or asleep for longer.
- Given its space-saving design, a rocking bassinet is perfect if you don’t have much room in your baby’s nursery or by the side of your bed.
- Rocking bassinets are compact and portable which is ideal for parents who want to keep their little one close by for those daytime naps and night-time feeds.
- Its portability also allows for easy handling making the bassinet ideal to travel with.
- Most rocking bassinets have lower sides which make it easier for you to lean over and place your child inside their bed.
- Some bassinets come with a hood or cover which you can pull over when your little one is sleeping.
- Rocking bassinets are much cheaper compared to cribs. But this will, of course, depend on the brand you buy.
How to Pick the Perfect Rocking Bassinet for Your Needs
Now, let’s discuss how to buy the right bassinet for your and your baby’s needs. Pay attention to the following factors and features:
- Automatic or Manual Rocking: Do you want a rocking bassinet that rocks manually or automatically? The latter will either be battery-operated or must be plugged into a power source. If you opt for a battery-operated bassinet, make sure it has a long battery life so the unit doesn’t stop working when you need it most.
- Construction: Buying a rocking bassinet that features a sturdy is always wise to allay durability concerns. The material used in the construction also affects the weight of the unit. Remember you may need to move your child from one room to the next or travel with the bassinet.
- Size: How much space do you have in your bedroom or baby’s room? Consider the size of the unit and if the dimensions allow it to fit in your bedroom or nursery perfectly.
- Ease of Use: I’d advise you to pick a bassinet that’s easy to assemble and disassemble for those times you need to travel with it.
- Comfort: Consider what features on the bassinet make your child more comfortable. A unit with mesh side windows offers proper ventilation. A firm but comfortable mattress is also ideal for infants. Plush quilted walls are a huge plus because they create a cozy space.
- Safety: You want a unit that allows for excellent visibility so you can see your baby while they sleep. Mesh side windows also help with that.
- Maintenance: Some bassinets come with a removable machine washable fabric cover making it a breeze to clean.
- Removable Basket: Such a basket can easily be detached from the bassinet so you can carry your baby anywhere.
- Extras: Toy bars, covers, white noises, subtle vibrations, wheels, soft nightlights are all extra features found in some rocking bassinets. In my opinion, they are worth paying the additional money for.
My Top Picks
- Best Overall- Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet, Windmill
- Best Value Pick – Delta Children Rocking Bedside Bassinet
- Best for Travel – Baby Delight Go With Me Slumber Deluxe Portable Rocking Bassinet
- Best Smart Bassinet – Halo BassiNest Swivel Sleeper
- Best Safety Features- Graco Simple Sway
Best Overall– Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
I’ll kick off my list with this stylish bassinet designed to keep your baby calm and comfortable. The soothing nightlight, flat padded sleeping surface, mesh sides, calming vibration, and sounds make sure of this. You can also remove the nightlight if your child finds it distracting. The serene music is a nice touch and will keep your baby calm till she falls into a peaceful slumber.
Who It’s For
This unit is perfect for babies that weigh up to 40lb.
Why You Should Buy It
I love how the calming sounds stimulate your baby’s senses. You have the option to control the music volume and turn on or minimize the unit’s swaying motion to suit your baby’s mood and needs at any given time.
- Dimensions:22.8 x 5.9 x 40”
- Weight: 20lb
- Batteries required: Yes
- Easy to assemble
- Long battery life
- Doesn’t take up much space
- Swaying motion a little jerky which may startle your little one
- Too low ( not ideal for parents with a back problem)
- Overhead mobile gets in the way if you’re picking up the baby
Best Value Pick – Delta Children Rocking Bedside Bassinet
This is yet another portable bassinet that comes with calming sounds and vibrations to soothe your child. The unit is designed to rock your baby gently from side-to-side to keep them calm. It also features a soothing nightlight to create a cozy ambiance in your baby’s room. You’ll find the lockable wheels convenient for easy portability. Moving the unit from one room to the next is simple and effortless.
Who It’s For
This bassinet is ideal for babies aged up to 5 months.
Why You Should Buy This
This product is JPMA certified meaning it’s constructed to meet the relevant safety standards. The vibration speeds are variable. Simply adjust them to match your little ones’ needs and mood.
- Dimensions: 35.5x 27.4 x 44.5”
- Weight: 18.85lb
- Batteries required: Yes
- Large storage basket under the bassinet
- Has enough space for baby to move inside
- Short battery life
- Mattress thin and not firm around the edges
- Sides not breathable
Best for Travel – Baby Delight Go With Me Slumber Deluxe Portable Rocking Bassinet
This stylish charcoal grey rocking bassinet is perfect for traveling with thanks to its portability. It’s easy to fold for travel and storage purposes. The cover, sheet, and canopy are all easy to remove. It’s one of the most basic bassinets on my list- free from music or calming vibrations. And it features a manual rocking option.
Who It’s For
The unit is designed for babies that weigh up to 20lb.
Why You Should Buy This
You’ll love how this bassinet can be adjusted to six different heights for your convenience. The product is also designed to meet safety standards for your little one.
- Dimensions: 33 x 18 x 22.5”
- Weight: 12lb
- Batteries required: No
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Compact and sturdy
- No soothing sounds
- Some parents may find it too short
Best Smart Bassinet – Halo BassiNest Swivel Sleeper
This is one of the products I was referring to when I mentioned rocking bassinets that feature sophisticated technology earlier. It’s a high-end rocking bassinet that comes with all sorts of bells and whistles designed to keep your baby calm and relaxed. The 360 swivels rotating mechanism, waterproof mattress, patented lower sides all make it worth the (many!) extra dollars. Feel free to read more about this stellar product on my previous blog post.
Best Safety Features – Graco Simple Sway
I’ll round off my list with the Graco Simple Sway unit which always comes to mind each time I think of a simple rocking bassinet that doesn’t cost much but does the job it’s designed to do. Your baby’s comfort and safety are all taken care of if you pick this product thanks to the deep plush seats and safety harness. You can read more about the product here.
How long does a bassinet last for?
Bassinets are usually used for a minimum of three months or until your child is six months. Just stick to the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the question as you don’t want to use a bassinet past its expiry date.
Are bassinets safe?
Bassinets are generally safe only when your baby is small and hasn’t started moving about. The moment your baby starts moving around a little or learning how to roll over, it becomes a safety risk. Either they can get trapped on one side of the rocking bassinet or fall out altogether.
Should all babies sleep in a bassinet?
It’s entirely up to you. I just recommend that you always make sure that your baby is lying on their backs when you place them inside a bassinet. Never make them lay sideways or facing downwards to avoid the risk of suffocation as mentioned in this video.
Bassinets are still a popular option among many parents. They are cute, small, and cozy. If I had to pick one, I’d advise you to go with the Fisher-Price bassinet. It comes with soothing music and vibrations to calm your baby down, an optional nightlight, and an engaging overhead mobile. Plus it’s comfortable and breathable, given the mesh sides. You can keep an eye on your little one at all times. The unit won’t be taking up too much space in your room which is perfect if you’re working with limited space. And you’ll appreciate the long battery life. I love how you can keep your little one close to you because of the unit’s portability. I know your baby will outgrow the bassinet soon but hey, they will also outgrow a crib, high-chair, carrier, and stroller too at some point. So you might as well make the most out of each parenting phase with the best product possible, right?
Last update on 2021-02-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API