It’s not unusual for first-time parents welcoming a new baby home to hear stories of no sleep. If this is your case, you may be seriously considering getting a used SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet: it is designed to help your baby sleep better and comes at a lower price than a new one.
But where can you buy a second-hand SNOO? And is it a great idea to buy it used? Or should you rent one before a purchase (new or used)?
- How to Find a Used SNOO
- Used SNOO Marketplaces
- How Much Does a Second-Hand SNOO Typically Cost?
- How Much Do You Save When Buying a Used SNOO (vs a New One)?
- Things to Look Out for When Buying a Second-Hand SNOO
- Should You Buy a Used SNOO, a New One or Rent It?
- My Recommendation
How to Find a Used SNOO
The SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet is an expensive crib which is why many parents look for a used one. Finding a second-hand SNOO is not as easy as finding a used stroller or crib. However, if you know where to look, you can keep an eye out when one does become available.
Here are some ways of going about finding used SNOO as I’ve seen other parents doing so:
- Reach out to your network: Find out if anyone in your family, circle of friends, neighbors, or even work colleagues has a SNOO they’re willing to sell you once their baby outgrows it.
- Marketplaces: Online marketplaces are good places to start looking for second-hand SNOO bassinets.
- Charity stores: Charity or thrift stores often take in used baby items. However, owners of the SNOO will want to try and recoup the initial cost of purchasing this expensive baby crib so you may not find them easily in these stores. However, there’s no harm in checking them out.
- Community board notices: Look out for community board notices in your local area such as in your supermarket or at the library. You could also put up a “WANT” notice on the board, indicating you would like to buy a second-hand SNOO.
- SNOO renters: Some parents will buy a SNOO for their baby and rent it out to other families once their little one has outgrown using it. The manufacturers of SNOO also give you the option to rent a SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet.
Used SNOO Marketplaces
Ebay is a popular marketplace for selling a range of items from electronics to fashion, health and beauty, and even baby items. You’ll be able to find both new and used SNOO smart bassinets. Most products are auctioned which means you’ll need to place bids on a SNOO you would like to get. Type in SNOO in the search bar and you’ll be taken directly to the page with all the listings of this item.
If you’re lucky, you might find a used SNOO starting at $600 but the average selling price is ranging between $700 and $1,000.
- Clear images for seeing the product
- Product ratings included
- Low shipping costs
- Safe payment facilities
- Price can be higher because of Ebay’s bidding feature
- Not guaranteed getting the product if bidding not successful
- Can’t view the product before purchasing it
The Facebook Marketplace is ideal if you’re looking for a used SNOO in your local community or in an area close by. This saves on having to pay for shipping costs or collecting from a place far from home. If the seller is open to the idea, you can also request to view the product at their home before agreeing to buy it. Look for a Facebook group called “The big snoo buy/sell/trade” to narrow down your search.
Most second-hand SNOO bassinets seem to be snapped up at around $700, However, $800 to $900 seems to be the price sellers want to get for their used SNOO.
- Makes it easier to look in your local community
- Easy search function
- Option to see product in person before purchasing
- Good prices
- Not easy to tell if the product is in good working order if viewing not allowed
- No buyer protection when making payments
Craigslist is an online classified site. They have a number of categories ranging from jobs to discussion forums and items for sale. You can look under “For Sale” and look for “Baby+Kid” to see if there are any used SNOO bassinets for sale. Craigslist originally started in the U.S but it now operates in over 70 countries worldwide. The marketplace does allow for bartering for any items for sale.
If you find a used SNOO on this marketplace, it’s likely to be selling in the price bracket of between $700 to $900.
- Connects with local communities
- Mobile apps available for searching on the go
- Free to browse and contact sellers
- No buyer protection when making a purchase
Formed in 2011, OfferUp connects local sellers with buyers. A peer to peer online marketplace, OfferUp is currently available in all major cities throughout the United States. The marketplace is big on building community-centric relationships, making it easy for buyers and sellers to connect face-to-face.
The highest price on OfferUp seems similar to the other marketplaces selling used SNOO, coming in at around $900 to $1,000. But, you might find one at $700 to $800 if you keep looking.
- Viewing product is person is possible
- Mobile apps available for easy searching
- Safe CommunityMeetUp spots established
- Limits search to local area
- No buyer protection when making payments
How Much Does a Second-Hand SNOO Typically Cost?
A second-hand SNOO bassinet price depends on where you purchase it from and the condition it’s in. But, in most cases you can get a used SNOO from anywhere between $600 to $1,000. Buyers snap up used SNOOs going for around $700 on an online site such as Craigslist while one priced at $900 may take a bit longer to sell.
How Much Do You Save When Buying a Used SNOO (vs a New One)?
If you buy a new SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet directly from the manufacturers, Happiest Baby, you can expect to pay $1,595 at time of writing this article. This price includes free shipping (within the United States), three SNOO Sacks, one organic cotton fitted sheet, and a water-resistant mattress cover. You also get unlimited access to the company’s sleep consultants 24/7 and a 1-year limited warranty.
While places such as Amazon and Walmart also sell the SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet, their prices are the same as Happiest Baby.
When buying a used SNOO you can save anything between $595 and $995 which is quite a good saving. For parents working with a tighter budget, these savings could make a second-hand SNOO a viable option.
Things to Look Out for When Buying a Second-Hand SNOO
There are things you should know before purchase of a new SNOO. The same applies when buying second-hand.
Accessories That Might Come With the SNOO
When buying a second-hand SNOO you most likely will lose out on accessories such as sacks, a SNOO 100% organic cotton fitted sheet, and a water-resistant mattress cover. However, the seller may have used sheets specifically designed for the SNOO they’re willing to sell. If you’re not fussy going with used sacks, they may also be willing to part with them too!
Ideally, the mattress cover should be sold together with the bassinet so make sure to ask about it when speaking to the seller. Also, make sure the mattress is included in the sale of the used SNOO.
A new SNOO comes with a 1-year limited warranty which may fall away when the bassinet changes ownership. Take this into consideration as repairs or getting parts for a used SNOO may be costly, negating the original savings you might make.
Unlimited Access to Sleep Consultants
A new SNOO bassinet comes with unlimited access to sleep consultants at Happiest Baby. This feature may fall away should the crib swap hands. Follow up with the seller to find out if this is the case and decide for yourself if the savings justify not having this feature.
Looking out for any damage is a given when buying any second-hand item. It’s essential to check if there’s any damage to the SNOO especially if it hampers the safe operations of the bassinet. Being a tech product, certain things could go wrong so always make sure the smart bassinet is functioning properly before purchasing it second-hand.
Find out if the used SNOO comes with a users manual. This will save you from having to search for one online. However, you can download the user guide from Happiest Baby online.
Should You Buy a Used SNOO, a New One or Rent It?
The big question is whether you should buy a used SNOO or bite the bullet and buy a new one. You also have the option of renting a SNOO Smart Sleeper Bassinet. The reason why so many parents question buying new is that the bassinet is only good for babies up to six months old. Spending over $1,500 on a baby item that will only be used for such a short time may seem like a luxury.
However, getting a good night’s sleep is vital for both baby and parents. If buying new is simply not an option, getting a used SNOO could be your solution. However, make sure it’s in good working order so you don’t have to fuss with repairs, getting expensive parts, or worry about the safety of your baby.
Happiest Baby will rent a SNOO smart bassinet for around $149 per month while other renters may offer rent at a monthly fee of $100 or less. The benefit of renting is you can opt to only use a SNOO for a few months or send it back if you find it’s not working for you and your baby.
Another option to consider is looking at some of the SNOO alternatives that could be cheaper when purchased brand new. You could also compare with other brands such as SNOO or MamaRoo and see if another brand is a better product.
Watch this video about the founder, Dr. Harvey Karp talking about the SNOO Smart Sleeper.
I would highly recommend taking the Happiest Baby rental option. This way you can decide if you like the SNOO before deciding to buy it new or going for a second-hand smart bassinet. But, renting with the manufacturer also means you can rely on the quality of the smart bassinet while getting accessories such as the fitted sheet, mattress cover, and two SNOO sacks. Really makes sense, doesn’t it?