Our daughter sleeps in the same room as us but soon she will sleep in her own room, just like for many other parents. With that decision comes the need for a baby monitor. Discover where to put the baby monitor so you can sleep knowing you won’t miss hearing your baby crying.
Baby Monitor Placement Guide
It was only when I started exploring the world of baby monitors that I discovered the importance of placing them correctly. Baby monitors are specifically designed to meet different requirements, so it’s fair to say that there’s a monitor for every parent and a monitor for every baby. For example, did you know that there are baby monitors for deaf parents? Certain factors determine where to place baby monitor in your home. For EMF radiation-related reasons, the baby monitor should be positioned at least 3 feet away from the baby. If you are using a baby monitor with a night camera, then factor in the night vision requirements of the camera. Be sure that the camera is viewing the whole crib at all times. Every new baby monitor comes with its own placement guide and instructions for installation. To get the most out of your baby monitor, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for the placement of that specific model. For instance, if you’re looking for advice on where to mount Motorola baby monitor your best bet is to read through the Motorola user guide.
Different Baby Monitor Mounting Options
It is an important consideration where to mount baby monitor so you can hear and see your baby without any struggles. Depending on which room you want to place your baby monitor there are a few options to consider. The key points that came out of my research for different mounting options were safety and view. Avoid accidents by ensuring the baby can’t strangle themself on the cord. There’s also the danger of you tripping over it if the baby monitor cord is trailing along the floor. With a camera on the baby monitor, you want to ensure you get the best view. When looking at the different options of where to put the baby monitor, it is essential that the camera view is not blocked in any way.
- The most popular option is placing your baby monitor directly onto a table or any other flat surface such as a shelf or a side table placed next to the crib.
- Some baby monitors can be mounted onto a wall. But where to wall mount baby monitor? If you want to be able to see your baby from the same angle every time, this is the option for you. It also means that it is safely out of the way. This method of mounting may require some tools, mounting brackets, and screws.
- Some parents like to clip their baby monitor onto a tripod. This option can work well as long as the tripod does not get in the way.
- Many parents like to mount their baby monitor into the ceiling. This keeps the baby monitor out of the way and out of sight (while keeping baby IN sight).
- It is worthwhile knowing that not all baby monitors need to be fixed in one place. You get many mobile monitors that do not require any kind of mounting.
- A word of caution: while some baby monitors can be attached directly to the baby’s crib this is not recommended as the monitor could fall off the crib and onto your baby. Can you imagine a worse way to wake up?
The Importance of Proper Baby Monitor Positioning
A baby monitor’s main purpose is to give the parent peace of mind whenever the baby is out of sight. If the baby monitor is not correctly positioned, you may be losing out on what the product is designed to offer. Radiation transmission is something every parent must be aware of when purchasing and positioning a baby monitor. This is because radiation transmission can be dangerous – I have personally explored this topic and I highly recommend low EMF baby monitors. When positioning the baby monitor you want to keep it away from any other electronic instruments that may cause interference with the signal of the baby monitor. These devices include computers, mobiles, wireless routers, and microwaves. When using a baby and parent unit, the units need to be at least a meter apart to prevent any screeching sounds emitting from the units. This could become irritating and will have a negative impact on the unit’s audio quality. Getting the best view will also be determined by how you position your baby monitor. The positioning of the baby monitor also affects the quality of the sound. You would be defeating one of the main reasons for purchasing a baby monitor if you can’t hear your baby clearly! Your manual should give you good instructions so be sure to read it from cover to cover.
How to Pick the Perfect Place for Your Baby Monitor
Parents buy baby monitors to help them know what their baby is up to when they are not in the same room. Before deciding where to mount the baby monitor, decide which rooms your baby is likely to spend most of their time. Most times a baby monitor is installed in the baby’s nursery. Now that you are aware of the different mounting options, have a good look around the room. Take into account the importance of correct positioning. If the baby monitor is mounted on a table near the crib, be sure that it is at a safe distance from the baby’s reach. The general guideline here is at least 3 feet away from the baby. Ask yourself: can the baby monitor be mounted securely on the flat surface without falling over every time you reach for your baby? Perhaps the space of the room is limited. You could consider installing the baby monitor into the ceiling or onto a wall. Remember positioning is important if you want to get the best view from the camera. If the baby monitor needs to be plugged in, then your choice of the perfect place may be limited. If this happens, you could put a corner shelf above the wall outlet. You could also move a bookcase so that it is next to the wall outlet.
Top Baby Monitor Placement and Installation Tips
As a parent, I know how important it is to have as few hassles as possible! This includes the various gadgets we use to help us when parenting. I have found the following important tips useful in guiding me when placing my baby monitor and installing it.
- The number one point I consider is safety. I can’t stress this enough. If your baby monitor is not safely mounted, you could end up with an accident.
- Getting a full view of your baby when they are out of sight is crucial. It doesn’t help you if you can only see your baby’s toes wriggling or the top of their head. You want the best view your baby monitor’s camera can give you, so position it correctly.
- Positioning the baby monitor correctly also ensures you hear all the sounds you need to clearly.
- It is important to remember that as the baby grows, the baby monitor may need to be repositioned.
- Once you have decided where you are going to mount the baby monitor, read the installation instructions fully. If you don’t have access to the installation instructions check out the manufacturer’s website or turn to helpful online tutorials.
- Most baby monitors come with the necessary attachments if they are to be mounted on the wall or into the ceiling. If this is not the case with the product you purchase, know what you need before installing. You don’t want to be running around at the last minute looking for tools!
- Mounting a baby monitor to the wall or ceiling could be messy work. You will be drilling holes and you might need to do some touch-ups on the paintwork. Ensure that all the furnishings are covered in the room. It’s also a good idea to keep your baby out of the room!
Best Baby Monitors and Their Mounting Requirements
Before we wrap this article up, here’s a list of four of the best baby monitors and their mounting requirements. Who knows, maybe you’ll find your perfect product down below?
- Nanit Plus Smart Baby Monitor and Wall Mount – The Nanit Plus Smart Baby Monitor can be wall mounted or floor mounted by means of the Nanit Multi Stand accessory.
- The Arlo Pro – The Arlo Pro Wireless Home Security Camera System can be wall mounted and comes with the gear needed to do so. If you’re not happy with the included mount you could also consider the Wasserstein Adjustable Wall Mount that is compatible with all Arlo Pro and Ultra models.
- Lollipop Baby Monitor – The Lollipop Baby Monitor with True Crying Detection‘s flexible tail means this baby monitor can be mounted in many ways. Hook it up on the crib itself, mount it to a wall bracket, or simply place it on a counter or shelf.
- Victure Wireless Security Camera – Much like the above, the Victure Wireless Security Camera can be mounted in a number of ways. Mount it in the ceiling, to the wall, or to a table – it’s entirely up to you.
If you’re not fully satisfied with this extra short summary list, you may want to check out some of my comparison posts, e.g. on some popular smart monitors Cubo Ai vs Nanit Plus vs Arlo Baby vs Lollipop or if you’re more a fan of non-wifi monitors then Infant Optics vs VAVA vs eufy.
Parenting, especially in those early days, can be full of anxiety. Technology has developed tremendously in baby monitors. I know from experience how much at ease I am knowing that I can hear my daughter when she is in another room during the day. Before doing this research, I had no idea there could be a perfect place to mount a baby monitor in our home. By now you will realize that there any many considerations to take into place when placing and mounting your baby monitor. I am sure you have spent many hours researching for the best baby monitor to suit your needs. By placing and installing your baby monitor correctly you will have ease of mind when it comes to the safety of your baby.